RAPT temperature controller or Inkbird ITC308 wiFi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HT Shen

Reaction score
To whom it my concerned

Recently, I would like to upgrade my temperature controller to be had the WiFi function.
In this way, I can control the temperature when I in the office XD

There are two controllers as follows, and really difficult for me to say which one is the best. Any advantage or disadvantage for these two controllers? Please help!!Big thanks!!

1. RAPT temperature controller
This controller can pair with RAPT pill, and RAPT pill can provide the temperature to controller, and it can base the temperature what it got from Pill to control the temperature. The function looks amazing.
I have TILT on hand ; However, it looks like Tilt cannot pair this controller.
So, I need to buy RAPT pill. There is not many ppl to share the information about this controller.
No idea if it works great as per the description.

2. Inkbird ITC308 wiFi
I have Tilt. My fermenter stainless fermentation tank have the space which can allow temperature controller probe insert into that space to get much accrete reading for the wort.
In this way, I might be able to get the temperature reading between Inkbird and tilt fairlly consistent?
(For example tilt 18.3c controller 19.5c ; tilt 20.1c controller 21.3; tilt 23c controller 24.2c)

Lots of ppl used this controller. The feedback is great. Although the temperature measure by controller definitely have different from the Tilt. So, I think that I can still well control the temperature.

Are you really needing to adjust the temperature on the fly? Most ales I'd think will be set it and forget it. For lagers, there is a schedule that can be programmed in to various controllers. And none of this requires that you do anything from afar. Even if you don't have a programable controller that follows a schedule to ramp down or up the temps for a lager, they aren't so exacting that they can wait till you get home from the office or job.

So are you just wanting to look at the temps and maybe the SG too. Or do you really need to micro manage things and be able to adjust temperature at will?

Are you really needing to adjust the temperature on the fly? Most ales I'd think will be set it and forget it. For lagers, there is a schedule that can be programmed in to various controllers. And none of this requires that you do anything from afar. Even if you don't have a programable controller that follows a schedule to ramp down or up the temps for a lager, they aren't so exacting that they can wait till you get home from the office or job.

So are you just wanting to look at the temps and maybe the SG too. Or do you really need to micro manage things and be able to adjust temperature at will?
Could you provide some links to programmable controllers? I would love to get one.

Could you provide some links to programmable controllers? I would love to get one.
I don't use programmable controllers that allow for changing schedules to be followed. But I did link to to a site that has some in this thread...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/temp-controller-with-schedule.732701/#post-10377981

And some might be more in the App than it is the controller. I am wondering if the App for the inkbirds with WiFi does such. However, I don't use inkbirds either, so I've no reason to look at their app.

I don't use programmable controllers that allow for changing schedules to be followed. But I did link to to a site that has some in this thread...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/temp-controller-with-schedule.732701/#post-10377981

And some might be more in the App than it is the controller. I am wondering if the App for the inkbirds with WiFi does such. However, I don't use inkbirds either, so I've no reason to look at their app.
Thanks! I had not seen that thread. Inkbird does not have this ability as of now. I use them and the app. I also have suggested it to them as it could be done just with an app change.

I have no personal experience of the 308 and the inkbird controller I have has been reliable for a good few years but there are plenty of complaints about the 308 out there.

The big plus with the RAPT controller is that you can use the PID function where the Inkbird 308 does not have it
I saw the pic function, but that would not work with on off control functions like a pump on a glycol unit. Now a 120 volt heating element like a RIMS, that would beer interesting.

I saw the pic function, but that would not work with on off control functions like a pump on a glycol unit. Now a 120 volt heating element like a RIMS, that would beer interesting.
That is what I use it for - a simple mash heat control on my RIMS tube - which is all I use it for

I have no personal experience of the 308 and the inkbird controller I have has been reliable for a good few years but there are plenty of complaints about the 308 out there.
Been using a 308 on my fermentation fridge for a few years and it's perfect, not once let me down

To whom it my concerned

Recently, I would like to upgrade my temperature controller to be had the WiFi function.
In this way, I can control the temperature when I in the office XD

There are two controllers as follows, and really difficult for me to say which one is the best. Any advantage or disadvantage for these two controllers? Please help!!Big thanks!!

1. RAPT temperature controller
This controller can pair with RAPT pill, and RAPT pill can provide the temperature to controller, and it can base the temperature what it got from Pill to control the temperature. The function looks amazing.
I have TILT on hand ; However, it looks like Tilt cannot pair this controller.
So, I need to buy RAPT pill. There is not many ppl to share the information about this controller.
No idea if it works great as per the description.

2. Inkbird ITC308 wiFi
I have Tilt. My fermenter stainless fermentation tank have the space which can allow temperature controller probe insert into that space to get much accrete reading for the wort.
In this way, I might be able to get the temperature reading between Inkbird and tilt fairlly consistent?
(For example tilt 18.3c controller 19.5c ; tilt 20.1c controller 21.3; tilt 23c controller 24.2c)

Lots of ppl used this controller. The feedback is great. Although the temperature measure by controller definitely have different from the Tilt. So, I think that I can still well control the temperature.
If you are prepared to spend the money to get the RAPT temp controller and the RAPT Pill Hydrometer this allows you to put the pill into bluetooth mode and not only use it as the temperature probe but greatly increases the functionality of the two devices.

For instance you can start to use fermentation speed to control steps in the fermentation process so as the fermentation speed slows down it will trigger the temperature to increase. This in my opinion is the most powerful part of the RAPT system at the moment and we are continuing to make further updates to how this system works. It's certainly also nice to have the gravity shown on the display of the controller too.

With that said if all you want to do is control temperature the RAPT Temp Controller and Inkbird ITC308 will both get the job done. As you have pointed out the RAPT temp controller has some other features like being able to set profiles that will triger notififications, track and log the duty cycle of your compressor/heating device and also set alarms that can trigger push notifications to your phone or to an email. Also some other features like PID for heating.

Back