Rant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougdecinces

Reaction score
I just want a forum where I can vent about this. I don't want to use Facebook, because my wife would find out that this happened (and since she is asleep now, I would rather she be kept in the dark, lest she get upset at me).

Anyways, how is it that I can brew 120+ batches of beer and never have a fermentation so violent that it knocks the bung out of my carboy and causes a huge mess; and yet both of the batches that I brewed last night have done just that within hours of each other? I feel so lucky.

Been there, done that. I put a sealed bung on my stout when I thought it was done. I moved it inside to warm up some and it blew the bung and put krausen on the ceiling when it started to ferment a little more. I am glad it did not get on the laundry

Just when you think you mastered the process and your equipment.... boom! It happens. Haha. Sorry man. Hope the clean up wasn't too much of a pia...

I don't know if I haven't made a big enough beer or the yeast I use is just not easily excited, but every one I've made just bubbles away. Not once have I seen a violent fermentation, it is kind of disappointing. The only thing that came close was a cider, but there wasn't much room left in the carboy and it just kind of sprayed a bit out the top and calmed down.

My welcome to violent fermentation was my first up wheat beer. I Will never brew we in a plastic fermenter again. Ever since I started using dry yeast my fermentations have been very violent

Back