Imperial Stout Ransack RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paramecium

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP001 California Ale
Yeast Starter
4L decanted off before pitching
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 weeks @65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
8 Weeks @68
Tasting Notes
Thick and fulled flavored with plenty of roast. Light oak flavor and plenty of body.
Ingredients.
Brewhouse Efficiency 58%

19 lbs Pale Male, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 79.2%
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt 120L (120 SRM) 4.2%
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (250 SRM) 4.2%
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (450 SRM) 4.2%
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300 SRM) 4.2%
1 lbs Special B Malt (180 SRM) 4.2%

1.50 oz Warrior [16.70 %] (60 min) hops 65.1 IBU
2.00 oz Willamette [4.80 %] (30 min) hops 19.2 IBU
2.00 oz Willamette [4.80 %] (5.0 min) hops 5.0 IBU

Mash for 60 minutes at 154

2 oz medium roast French oak soaked in Tawny port for at least 2 weeks added to secondary for 2 months.

This is a roasty and very thick imperial stout. If you give it a while to condition it balances out nicely and makes for a great winter time stout. Enjoy.

Brewed this up again today. Hit the numbers, love seeing that hydrometer over that 1.100 mark.

Doing another batch in a few weeks to try one with bourbon and one with the original tawny port.

Brewed this up again today. Hit the numbers, love seeing that hydrometer over that 1.100 mark.

Doing another batch in a few weeks to try one with bourbon and one with the original tawny port.

Getting ready for winter I see.

Maybe it's time for me to brew this too. If I do brew it, make sure you keep some around in December for us to compare.

Just an update, we entered this as listedin the recipe in the Bruery batch 1000 contest, did not win but scored a 42 and 44 on the judging sheets. We also entered it into the Stone AHA rally competition last weekend with bourbon oak rather than port and took 3rd place.

Back