randomish question...insurance claim

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowperc

Reaction score
Hi all,

I don't post here often, but troll for recipes all the time :mug:

I recently had a pipe burst in my house, and the giant hole in my ceiling was directly above some of my brewing equipment. It got soggy insulation in my carboy and the underside of one of my secondary fermentation bucket lids.

Would you claim either of those and try to get them replaced? I'm not the type who's trying to get the insurance company for everything I own. Right now the only other "stuff" I'm demanding they replace is a crappy vacuum cleaner. (Note: they're also replacing all the floors and cabinets in my house...it was a bad leak, but I managed to get most of my stuff out of the flood levels before it spread past the kitchen)

I guess the main question is: I figure I can clean these, but can I really trust that they're sanitary after something like this? Thanks in advance!!

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

I'm actually a claims adjuster, I just handle really large losses though (if you see me on the job it's a really bad day). If you showed me them and said you were worried about brewing with them again, I'd pay to replace them no problem.

So, if you truly won't use them again, claim them if you want. Personally, I'd just clean them, they should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think this is an ethical question, so approach it as one. The insurance is to compensate for actual loss, so if you are out something claim it. However, if you are not losing it and it costs you nothing to clean then there is no legitimate claim. It would be different if it were something that a professional had to be brought in to clean--that would be a legitimate claim. It would also be different if it sprayed raw sewage all over the stuff and you had to worry about health concerns. However, if it simply has schmutz on it, just clean it and move on.

I don't believe he's questioning the ethics of it. He's questioning whether what was spilled on it was a sanitation concern down the road. And if so he wants to know now so he can file a claim for it. I read it as he was more than willing to clean it up and move on as long as it was salvageable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I agree. Insulation shouldn't be an issue... unless you house has some improper/outdated pipe insulation (asbestos), I wouldn't worry about.

IMHO, clean, sanitize, and brew brew brew.

I don't believe he's questioning the ethics of it. He's questioning whether what was spilled on it was a sanitation concern down the road. And if so he wants to know now so he can file a claim for it. I read it as he was more than willing to clean it up and move on as long as it was salvageable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app
That's correct. I was just trying to see if most brewers would be worried about brewing with this equipment again. It seems like the consensus is that I should RDWHAHB.

Back