Random leftover hops - help me make an IPA recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraigKing

Reaction score
I still buy 1oz packs of hop pellets when I brew and over the past few batches, I've accumulated some leftover hops. Some of them have .5oz left, some are full, but I would like to use them all.

I would like to develop an IPA ... either a session IPA, or IIPA.

I will brew this as an AG brew. 60 or 90 minute boil is fine. The addition of dry hops later is fine too. Please help me to make a recipe to use these hops up!

Cascade: 2.5oz
Nugget: .5oz
US Golding: 1oz
Willamette: 1oz
US Magnum: .5oz
German Hallertau: .05

What would be a good hop schedule to use these hops and make a good beer?

Thanks

IMHO, which generally doesn't mean squat I would use the cascade, nugget and wilamette. Again my personal preference but I would use the Nugget at 60, Cascade and Wilamette at 30, 10, 5 and flameout. Again, my personal preference as I'm sure others will give their opinions!

Cheers!

Thanks for the suggestion!

I would really like to try to use all of the hops! Any suggestions for using all of the hops?

Also, slight correction from my original post, the recipe could be for a session double IPA, traditional double IPA, or really kick it up and make an imperial double IPA. But I'm leaning towards a double IPA since I have 6oz of hops at my disposal.

I would pull up a recipe from the section here and just add them all. Make
it a kitchen sink IPA, what's the worst that could happen... beer?

My preference would be:

Magnum + Hallertau @ 60 for bittering

Golding + Willamette @10

Cascade + Nugget @ flameout

The Cascade and Nugget combination is per an interview with Stan Hieronymus in which he talks about specific hop oils, and how combining hops with different oil profiles can create new outcomes. He specifically pointed to Cascade and Nugget as a late addition being able to create a "fruity" character that Cascade alone doesn't bring, without the herbal heaviness of an earlier addition of Nugget.

Also, slight correction from my original post, the recipe could be for a session double IPA, traditional double IPA, or really kick it up and make an imperial double IPA. But I'm leaning towards a double IPA since I have 6oz of hops at my disposal.

Kinda confused here, double and imperial both refer to higher strength IPAs - in the 2008 BJCP guideline anything 7.5-10%+ is categorized as imperial IPA, in the new guidelines they call 7.5-10% a double IPA (not sure where triple IPA's fit in the new guideline, but I would consider anything over 10%). Session IPA is defined as 3-5%. So session double IPA doesn't make sense, - are you maybe using session and imperial to refer to ABV and "double" to refer to how much hops?

As mentioned I think you need more hops if a DIPA is your plan - besides only being 6 oz half of them are relatively mild hops. If you can get more for dry hopping I suppose you could try this:

Nugget+magnum at 60
Willamette, goldings, and hallertau at 10
All the cascade for a hopstand
dry hop with 4 more oz of your choice

Edit: posted while Jordan was posting. My main thought was trying to get enough IBU's but otherwise we are thinking similarly I think. Might work to do magnum plus all the willamette at 60, then move the nugget to flameout/hopstand.

Kinda confused here, double and imperial both refer to higher strength IPAs - in the 2008 BJCP guideline anything 7.5-10%+ is categorized as imperial IPA, in the new guidelines they call 7.5-10% a double IPA (not sure where triple IPA's fit in the new guideline, but I would consider anything over 10%). Session IPA is defined as 3-5%. So session double IPA doesn't make sense, - are you maybe using session and imperial to refer to ABV and "double" to refer to how much hops?

As mentioned I think you need more hops if a DIPA is your plan - besides only being 6 oz half of them are relatively mild hops. If you can get more for dry hopping I suppose you could try this:

Nugget+magnum at 60
Willamette, goldings, and hallertau at 10
All the cascade for a hopstand
dry hop with 4 more oz of your choice

Edit: posted while Jordan was posting. My main thought was trying to get enough IBU's but otherwise we are thinking similarly I think. Might work to do magnum plus all the willamette at 60, then move the nugget to flameout/hopstand.

LOL yeah confused here too. So double imperial = Quad IPA? Like 16%abv? Session Double = 1/2x * 2x = IPA?

But I agree with a few posts above that 6oz of hops is not enough to make a double IPA, or even a regular one IME. Especially if half of them are noble-ish. Sure you can get the bitterness at the right level, but the hop character wont be too exciting. If you can, Id pick up some more hops or just save them for use separately in future batches

I like the Magnum and Hallertau at 60 min, Golding and Willamette at 10 and 5 min (respectively) and flameout with cascade and nugget.

Also could do 1oz of cascade at flameout then dry hop with 1.5oz cascade and .5oz nugget

Yeah...that's just an IPA, right? :cross:

Thank you to those who offered hop schedules and combinations as opposed to those trying to correct my terminology of IPAs. :off:

I admit we were having a little fun with the math, but honestly the main reason to clarify is so we can help you get what you want. If you ask for help with a "session double" and no one knows exactly what you mean it's hard to suggest a recipe.
:mug:

I like the Magnum and Hallertau at 60 min, Golding and Willamette at 10 and 5 min (respectively) and flameout with cascade and nugget.

Also could do 1oz of cascade at flameout then dry hop with 1.5oz cascade and .5oz nugget

This. And go easy on the grain bill and brew yourself a hoppy session.

Back