Random kit mod review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MazdaMatt

Reaction score
So my pipeline needs a solid priming, so I figured while I'm brewing Orfy's Boddington Clone this past weekend I might as well just tack on a kit brew for an easy extra 5gal.

So I bought a Cooper's lager kit and decided to get a bit creative.

The kit calls for 1kg of dextrose, but I decided to throw in 1kg of light DME. With that, I figured it might be a little too malty, so I tossed in 0.5oz EKG to boil for a couple minutes with the DME before the kit can went into the pot.

Proceedure:
5L water to simmer
Add 1kg light DME
Add 0.5oz EKG
Bring to boil, approx 4-5 minutes, flame out
Stir in cooper's Lager kit
Add 15L cold tap water
Pitch dry yeast, shake for 2 min to aerate

Wuddya think!?!?

The airlock was bubbling in 3 hours and about 2/3 of the hops stayed in the pot when I dumped into the fermenter.

That'll come out pretty good. EKG works well with that kit,as does Willamette. I add plain Munton's DME's to that one with different hops to get different styles of pale ales. The OS lager is a good kit to use as a base for various pale ales. I used an ounce of KG with With plain light Munton's DME for a nice pale,dry hopped with Willamette. The hop flavor will be light,but if you like an ale that's a bit malt forward,it'll be fine.

Back