Randal worth the hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khugs21

Reaction score
Is it worth two ounces of hops? Amarillo or simcoe specifically? I never had a beer ran through one but want to try. The beer will be dry hopped to.

not sure there really is an objective answer since "worth it" depends on so many things. if you have only 3 oz of those two rare hops vs 3 pounds you may want to add them as a dry hop to get the aroma in the entire batch of beer vs the diminishing returns of a randall per glass of beer. if you have tons of hops you might not care.

always invisioned it as something more for the person that grows hops and has a pound or so of wet hops lying around

I have a lb of a lot of the more hard to get varieties but dont want to just "throw them away" for a few brews. I do have a lot of homegrown centennial, might just do it with those.

I also feel like a randall is for serving large amounts of beer, not drinking an IPA over the course of a month. If you want to get some continuously changing, intense and interesting hop flavor how about dry hopping in the keg? I love doing this.

I have always dry hopped in the secondary, might try in the keg but I never use a bag assuming its going to get clogged. I usually just throw them in and siphon around them. Might have to get me some smaller hop bags and try it.

I have always dry hopped in the secondary, might try in the keg but I never use a bag assuming its going to get clogged. I usually just throw them in and siphon around them. Might have to get me some smaller hop bags and try it.

Stuff a knee-high stocking with hops and hang it just above the bottom of the keg with some dental floss (the floss can be clamped between the keg and lid....won't cause any leaks).

Back