Ranco Temperature Controller Opinions Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

schneemann

Reaction score
In building my keezer, I've been shopping for a temperature controller.

I'm looking to do this in a way that is as simple and easy-to-reverse as possible, so I'd like to find a temp. controller that plugs inline with the power cord of the freezer rather than have to do a bunch of wiring.

I believe this fits my needs:
http://www.rancoetc.com/ranco-etc111000000-digital-temperature-controller-prewired-p-87.html

I'd appreciate any opinions on this product.

Thanks!

drez77

Reaction score
I have a johnson A419 and love it. Same as the Ranco just a different brand. I now use it with my freezer before I had it set up to run a heating pad when my cellar was to cold. Johnson or Ranco you cannot go wrong. If you do not mind doign some wiring ( very simple) you can look at the Love TS control too, http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=9352000

Mike

wildwest450

Banned
Reaction score
I'd appreciate any opinions on this product.

Thanks!
I have two of them and their great. I bought the unwired ones and saved some money, their easy to wire btw. But if you don't want the hassle that one will work just fine.

OP
schneemann

schneemann

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Yeah, its not that I can't wire it. My dad was an IBEW electrician for 35 years and some of that rubbed off over the years. Its just that I don't feel like dealing with it.

Thanks again.

Haterade

Reaction score
I bought the wired one like you because I just didn't want to hook it up. I'm lazy. It's working great in my fridge. As long as I don't open the door too much it keeps it right about where I want it. I kept mine at the factory +_5 degrees to keep from stressing my compressor.

OP
schneemann

schneemann

Reaction score
Just an update:
I bought this thing and love it. I unpacked it, plugged it in, set it to the temperature I wanted, and that's that! All under 2 minutes, including the time it took me to unpack it and walk to the basement.