Ranco, Love, or Johnson

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravenhead

Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to build my keezer and I wanted everyones opinion:

Love, Ranco or Johnson for the temp controller

My lhbs has the Johnson in stock for about $60...I like the idea of that one because its available and inexpensive. I'm inept in general but can find my way around a plug so thats why I like the idea of not having to wire things.

Anybody with some input.

thanks
Todd

I personally like the Love just because it's comparably priced and has the nice digital readout.

I have three of the analog type Johnson controllers and one Johnson A419 digital design. The digital model is the hot setup, but it's also considerably more expensive. The analogs controllers work just fine and I've had one of them for going on eight years. These are all plug and play controllers with no additional wiring required.

If you know little to nothing about electrical issues, get the Johnson analog or digital. Both are available pre-wired, and the difference in them is the temp swing (meaning how far the temp moves from your preset before turning on the compressor).

If you feel comfortable with wiring get the love controller. It's actually quite easy to do with instructions from this forum. You will also need a box to mount it in or need to provide a recess in your keezer to mount it.

Johnson....digital....find it right, around $70, no wire cutting, plug it in, program it, and go.

I don't own stock, but it hasn't let me down in close to a year:ban:

Figbash
Does that ranco have a plug in, or you just wire the AC in direct? Is it the
Ranco ETC-111000 Microprocessor Temperature Control?
Thanks
-Ben

We use these in many different applications in the HVAC field and I can say I've never had to replace a Johnson or Honeywell. Don't see many Love or Ranco.

Figbash
Does that ranco have a plug in, or you just wire the AC in direct? Is it the
Ranco ETC-111000 Microprocessor Temperature Control?
Thanks
-Ben

You need to wire it. I just used a 25' outdoor extension cord and a cable clamp where it went through the side of the case. I cut it near the outlet end and hooked up the wires. It cost $6 and took about 10 minutes.

Tom

You need to wire it. I just used a 25' outdoor extension cord and a cable clamp where it went through the side of the case. I cut it near the outlet end and hooked up the wires. It cost $6 and took about 10 minutes.

Tom
That is exactly what I did and the same place I bought from. I would never buy an analog Johnson for $60 with 40-50 Ranco's available.

I guess that answers my question. I liked the look of some of these LOVE controllers when installed but I haven't found the straight dope on where to buy them, which model, with what probe, etc. The Ranco looks above and beyond my JC with the capillary non submersible probe.
-Ben

Back