Ranco Electronic Temperature Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongrell

Reaction score
So I bought a Ranco one-stage electronic temperature control and didn't expect that I had to wire it myself. Well I'm dumb and don't know what NC NO or anything else I see inside this thing means... has anyone else ever wired one of these who could explain it to me? Even just an image of yours opened up so I could follow the wires would help.

NC-Normally Closed - In a non-powered condition the relay contacts are closed. It takes power to to open them. Usually used in safety circuits such as E-Stops. The idea is that if power is lost or the circuit fails then the contacts do not open and cause machinery/equipment to act unexpectantly.
NO-Normally Open - In a non-powered condition the relay contacts are open. It takes power to close them.

I'm getting ready to do this too. In those pictures, which orange wire goes to which end? Or does it even matter? I would think the wire on the left is the end that plugs into the wall and the one on the right is the one you plug into the fridge. Is that right?

NC-Normally Closed - In a non-powered condition the relay contacts are closed. It takes power to to open them. Usually used in safety circuits such as E-Stops. The idea is that if power is lost or the circuit fails then the contacts do not open and cause machinery/equipment to act unexpectantly....

Actually with a NC connection, if power is lost, the contacts close allowing power to flow. For a safety circuit you would want NO contacts (preferably force guided), unless it is an E-Stop switch, then it would be NC contacts that would open when the switch is pressed.

I just did this 2 nights ago. Used the link from the brewboard and everything went fine. Hardest part was getting the wires into the tiny holes. Cursed these meathooks I call hands!

Now my Dortmunder is nice and chilly at a stable 49F. No more ice bottles for me!

I'm getting ready to do this too. In those pictures, which orange wire goes to which end? Or does it even matter? I would think the wire on the left is the end that plugs into the wall and the one on the right is the one you plug into the fridge. Is that right?

Does anyone have an answer for this? I'm curious the same.

Opposite. The load (fridge) is on the left. The piece on the right plugs into the wall.

Thanks for this link! This diagram was exactly what I was searching for about my questions with wiring my Ranco contoller. When I first has a look at the mfg instructions I was surprised that it gets wired up in series with the power cord. Seemed too easy and made me paranoid that I was making a mistake. I just assumed it must get wired up with the compressor or some other piece of the internal fridge wiring, but I guess not.

I was just about to post a link to my pic, and realized it was already here. Glad it could be of help!

I am about to add the Ranco controller to my kegerator. The pictures are nice but I would feel a ton better if I could see a video of the build. I am amatuerish at best in electrical wiring. Anyone have a video?

Back