Ran out of propane.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ampsman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm brewing with my buddy last night about 10pm.
I steeped the grains, added more water to do a full boil and added my extract.
I was starting to get it up to a boil when my burner dies...out of gas. :(
So I put the lid on, put it in my garage and cracked a beer.

So the question now is can I just bring it to a boil tonight and continue like normal? I hadnt added any hops or anything to it yet.

Bummer. That's exactly why I have two tanks. When I had only one tank I would have to swap it out knowing I still had a bit of gas in it, just to be sure I didn't run out. With two you can run it all the way down before changing it out, saving some $$. Good luck with it tonight though, it should be fine :mug:

I did that on my last brew day. I thought I had enough and ran out just about at the end of the 90 min boil. So no worries. Still made beer. I was really trying to figure out how to get every drop of LP out of that tank. I would have squeezed it if I could have. The "bearhug" method didn't seem to work. I learned that it's good to have a backup. I looked on craigslist and found extra tanks for around $10.

beerloaf

That happened to me a while back as well, the only difference was that I was brewing during the day and was able to go get my tank filled up. Just started my boil back up where I left off and I'm getting ready to bottle that batch tomarrow, so I can't speak yet to how they turned out.

I've found that I can do three brew's on one tank of gas. Cuts the third one close though. Granted I've only done three batch's so far.

If you have your tanks filled at an lp place they fill them all the way up, if you trade them at Lowe's or something they don't fill those tanks all the way up, I think there is a couple of pounds difference. Can't remember exactly what the guy at the lp place told me so I could be wrong on the weight diff.

+1 on two Propane tanks

When the tank starts getting really low and you are running a high flow device like a turkey fryer burner the tank will start to freeze at the bottom. When mine do this I lay them over on their side. It gives more surface area for propane to vaporize from and more area for heat transfer on the tank. They have to be well below half empty or they will suck liquid instead of vaporized propane. I have now accumulated 4 tanks. 2 new style and 2 of the old style. If someone local needs a tank I would be willing to part with one or both of the old style tanks. They can't be refilled under current law but should be swappable for a new tank.

OP - if you covered it when it was above 150F you should be all set. If not, you can still make beer, you just might be making a soured beer. This is actually a style. Basically it consists of letting bacteria have it's way for 12-24 hours and then reboiling the wort to kill it and brewing as usual. (over simplification.)

However, if you had any amount of boil going and lost gas and covered, I'm betting you are ok and without risk of any sour flavors. Either way, brew and taste!

ran out of propane here too several months ago.

now when i make oatmeal stout i have to make it on an open pine fire to get the right smokey taste.

convenient, but expensive here. Hot damn, I'm a first time home owner and we got our gas bill for the first cold month. Hell no to a convenient NG line for me. I hate this area and it's gas prices. I'll stick with propane.

Seems like you've already gotten feedback that it should be fine, i just wanted to throw in a tip--

To determine your propane level, fill a cup with hot water and pour it down the side of your LP tank. You'll get a frost line at the level of liquid.

Happened to me couple brews ago but was able to run to my neighbor's house and grab his off his grill ... Now I have an extra that I bought off Craigslist full for $20 ... Can't beat that with a stick and I don't have to worry anymore. Good luck let us know how it turns out.

thanks for all the replies.
finished it up last night and its bubbling away as we speak.
Its a tripel so if I get any funk in it then it might not be bad. :)
And to add insult to injury I do have 2 tanks, one for BBQ and one for brewing.
I had killed my bbq one the day before.:eek:

If you don't have extra room to store a full 20 lb tank you may want to see if the threads on the regulator will fit the smaller disposable tanks people use for the portable LP grills. If so, keep one of these for emergencies like this when you run out.

Back