ran out of oxygen before pitching....can I still oxygenate the wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger9913

Reaction score
It's been 12hrs since I pitched the yeast. Thought I had a spare bottle of oxygen but as it turns out I didn't. I'm contemplating buying some right now from HD and hitting the wort for about 15 secs. Yes/No?

Also, there is signs of active fermentation right now.

Why? Are you having problems with your fermentation? Are you brewing something high grav? Need more info. Most people do not inject any 02.

You should be fine if it's fermenting already. The cheapest way to oxygenate your wort is to transfer back and forth between a couple buckets after you've cooled it and pitched the yeast. As long as your buckets are clean you don't have to worry about contaminating it. But you need to splash it. And it will build up a head then just throw on the lids and let it sit. You can see some pictures of my fermentation in my gallery.

You can add O2 in the very early stages of fermentation, so I would say yes.
I'd buy 2 bottles. That way, next time you run out, you will have a spare bottle.

-a.

Normally I aerate with oxygen so at the time i discovered I was out I had a everything in the fermenter and nothing sanitized to really aerate it. It's only a 1.055 brew but I figured a nice 10-15sec shot couldn't hurt.

Back