Ran out of CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vismich

Reaction score
I force carbonate and had two kegs hooked up to a CO2 canister. My CO2 ran out, and looks like my beer may have gone flat.

Can I recarbobate the kegs or are they shot??

Refill your tank and recarb. I had beers go flat when my tank went empty and didn't notice much difference when I "fixed" them.

They'll be fine. But if the beer went flat you didn't just run out of CO2, you have a leak that needs to be found and fixed. You should be able to carbonate and dispense 1-2 5 gallon kegs per pound of CO2.

If the beer had been fully carbonated and then went flat you have a leak somewhere. A keg is a sealed and pressurized vessel and is designed to stay that way until it is vented. If the co2 escaped and then drained your co2 tank it's leaking.

But yes, once you figure it all out you can hook the keg back up and force carbonate it all over again. Be sure to check all your fittings and lines, give everything a spray of star san and check for bubbles leaking out after you get some new co2. Check all your posts and gaskets and line connections, something is leaking.

Thanks. We drank from the kegs after the co2 was gone, so I probably drained the air out myself... But will check!

Back