Ramping up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mozltovcoktail

Reaction score
I'm just getting started and am strategizing how to ramp up my brewing from total beginner to a bit more advanced.

So, I have my first ever batch of beer fermenting, which is the Everyday IPA by Brooklyn Brew Shop. I've ordered a 6 gallon Better Bottle and am planning on doing a 5 gallon batch this Saturday using an all grain recipe kit from my local shop (Maine Brewing Supply). For the batch after that I'd like to find a good recipe online and try to assemble the ingredients myself.

Does this seem like a pretty good strategy to you all? I'm trying not to get in over my head, but I'd also like to try something new and challenging with each new brew.

My buddy wanted to do an extract for the brew we're doing on Saturday, but I figure that all grain is cheaper, and I'll feel a greater sense of control and accomplishment.

Just throwing all this out there for the sake of conversation. I've attached a pic of the progress of the Everyday IPA so far. Thanks!

photo (1).jpg

Do you have all the equipment for all grain? If so... do it! :)

The ingredients are about 20 dollars cheaper per batch than extract. That's about all the "savings" you will see.

Gary

Congrats on your very 1st batch! Looking good.
Before ramping you may find useful to read about AG process, HowToBrew seems like a good start.

Unless I'm understanding something incorrectly, I believe the Brooklyn Brew Shop kits are all grain, so I already have one all grain recipe kit under my belt! I do have a pot that can hold grains/wort for a 5 gallon batch, so I think I'm all set?

Last time I strained my mash using a mesh strainer, but I found it to be a huge pain to clean the grains from the in between the layers of metal mesh. This time I'm planning on steeping in a bag.

The problem I'm coming across is that my LHBS only has IPA-ish all grain kits, and I already have an IPA fermenting. Because of this I may end up going extract on my next batch afterall, or I could make the jump to using a recipe I find online, or trying to replicate one of the recipes in the Brooklyn Brew Shop book using ingredients from my LHBS instead of one of their 5 gallon kits. I don't have time to get one of those shipped to me.

Brewing from a kit is great, all the ingredients are weighed out for you already but if your LHBS has the ingredients you want to use you can make your own "kit" from a recipe and save a little money. The recipe database here on HomeBrewTalk has a bunch of great recipes and comments on how they turned out and any changes made to make them better. That's where I usually start before I have to modify because I don't have all the exact grains.

I agree with diS, I found John Palmer's book a great investment, arguably the best primer I could find. Once I started playing with styles I got a copy of Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles as a 'must have' basic recipe book. Then Ray Daniels book is helping me play around with designs further. I guess it depends on your personality, I like to read to learn.

Unless I'm understanding something incorrectly, I believe the Brooklyn Brew Shop kits are all grain, so I already have one all grain recipe kit under my belt! I do have a pot that can hold grains/wort for a 5 gallon batch, so I think I'm all set?

Last time I strained my mash using a mesh strainer, but I found it to be a huge pain to clean the grains from the in between the layers of metal mesh. This time I'm planning on steeping in a bag.

The problem I'm coming across is that my LHBS only has IPA-ish all grain kits, and I already have an IPA fermenting. Because of this I may end up going extract on my next batch afterall, or I could make the jump to using a recipe I find online, or trying to replicate one of the recipes in the Brooklyn Brew Shop book using ingredients from my LHBS instead of one of their 5 gallon kits. I don't have time to get one of those shipped to me.

So youre doing BIAB? Or plan on actually mashing the grains in a vessel like a cooler?

You could ask the LHBS to just tone back the hops in their IPA kits. Most IPA's are just 2-row and a caramel malt with a crapload of hops.

So use the same grains but back the IBU's to around 30 - 40 instead of 80 - 90.

Gary

Good idea regarding modifying the all grain kits.

I talked to my buddy, and we're going to do extract for this batch using all the of the equipment at his house, so that's that.

For the next batch I do at my place with my equipment I'm going to go all grain using BIAB. I'll need to get a bigger kettle for that, but I'm fine making that investment.

Back