Raising conditioned lager to ale fermenting temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernerbrau

Reaction score
So, I've got 3 batches of lager that have been sitting at 32 degrees for over 2 months now, and one of my kegs just kicked. It's time for me to get one of the batches on tap, which means I have space in my freezer for another beer.

Thing is, I have a friend getting married on April 30, and he says he prefers stouts. I was thinking of going with a baltic porter to maintain lager temps, but there's not enough time to ferment, lager, force carb, bottle, and ship to Minneapolis in time for the wedding.

So, my question: Will I hurt the lagers by raising the freezer temperature to 62 or so for 2-3 weeks to ferment a stout?

You asking if your fully fermented lagers can lager at 62F for couple weeks? Sure. I don't have a first hand experience but was wondering the same since I only have one freezer for fermenting, lagering and serving. I searched and remember somebody mentioned about a lagers when one batch was lagered at room temp and another at 34F and he could not taste the difference.

I'm with paraordnance in that I think you'll be fine. Since you've been lagering for 2 months the beer has done most of its clearing/conditioning and I really doubt raising the temp would reverse that.

Latest posts

Back