Raising bicarbonate content for Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WinterWarlock

Reaction score
I'm brewing a brown ale and I'm looking to to adjust my water to resemble the Brewers Friend London profile, as my source water does not contain sufficient bicarbonate. To treat 15.5 gallons of liquor, I've calculated the following additions to get in the ballpark: 3.95 grams Gypsum, 1.94 grams Calcium Chloride, and 17.44 grams chalk. I'm not particularly interested in the pH altering effects of the chalk, as I suspect the acidic nature of the dark crystal and roast grains in my recipe will get me into acceptable range. My goal in adding the chalk is simply to raise the bicarbonate content. My source water report is as follows (in ppm):

Calcium: 20
Magnesium: 6
Sodium: 35
Chloride: 39
Sulfate: 11
Alkalinity: 87
Hardness as Calcium Carbonate: 76
(No value reported for bicarbonate)

Now here's my target:

London (Porter, dark ales)

Ca2+Mg2+Na+Cl-SO42-HCO3-
Ion Profile in ppm

In this thread: How can I get the chalk to dissolve?, AJ Delange states it is rarely necessary to add chalk to brewing liquor, which causes me to question my water additions. I suppose I could add baking soda to get the bicarbonate I'm looking for, however I'm already starting with a good amount of sodium in the water. Should I just roll with the water as it is? I've brewed decent dark beers with my water as is, however they sometimes have a bit of tanginess I could do without. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm brewing a 12 gallon batch of the the following recipe using the no-sparge biab method:

https://growlermag.com/homebrew-recipe-wheaty-brown/2/
Thanks!!!

@WinterWarlock

My opinion? Disregard the HCO3 content of your desired profile. Match the other ions the best you can if you feel that's the water profile you need for this beer and forget bicarbonate. With a significant portion of wheat in the grain bill, the last thing you need is a base.

You'll likely need to add some acid, if anything. How do you plan on estimating pH? Post up your volumes, source water profile, etc. and i'm sure one of us can put it through our calculators to give you feedback.

EDIT: I see you did post this stuff. See post #3.

Last edited:
@WinterWarlock

I ran some basic analysis that confirms my previous post. You'll likely need some acid or no acid/base at all.

My opinion? Disregard the HCO3 content of your desired profile.

This x 100. Adding alkalinity is a sometimes useful tool, but should not start out as a goal.

Why alter water that is easily adjusted to produce a superb Brown Ale to a profile that isn't?

Your water has more alkalinity than desirable to produce the perfect brown ale, but one brewed with that alkalinity, adequate crystal malt and 100 ppm calcium should result in an acceptable mash pH.

Sulphate does not benefit brown ale, but no reason here to eliminate it. To produce a good brown ale, increase calcium content to 100 ppm by adding calcium chloride and leave all else alone.

Why alter water that is easily adjusted to produce a superb Brown Ale to a profile that isn't?

Your water has more alkalinity than desirable to produce the perfect brown ale, but one brewed with that alkalinity, adequate crystal malt and 100 ppm calcium should result in an acceptable mash pH.

Sulphate does not benefit brown ale, but no reason here to eliminate it. To produce a good brown ale, increase calcium content to 100 ppm by adding calcium chloride and leave all else alone.

OP may need acid with that alkalinity and 20% wheat.

@WinterWarlock
You'll likely need to add some acid, if anything. How do you plan on estimating pH? Post up your volumes, source water profile, etc. and i'm sure one of us can put it through our calculators to give you feedback.
@WinterWarlock

My opinion? Disregard the HCO3 content of your desired profile. Match the other ions the best you can if you feel that's the water profile you need for this beer and forget bicarbonate. With a significant portion of wheat in the grain bill, the last thing you need is a base.

EDIT: I see you did post this stuff. See post #3.

I'm using A Dr. Meter Ph-100. I'm considering adding a few ml of lactic acid, nothing drastic.

Thanks, I'll give this a try!

Yes, I just plugged my values into the EZ Water spreadsheet. With a Calcium Chloride addition of 16.7 grams, along with 3ml of lactic acid, I should get a mash pH of 5.5 and the Calcium will be up to 100ppm. Can't wait to brew, this Wheaty Brown recipe has always turned out excellent!

Latest posts

Back