Rain, Rain- Go AWAY! Stupid weather...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Beere

Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The creek behind my house floods when the river it dumps into backs up. We have been getting a LOT of rain in South GA and a ton more on the way today... sux

I parked my new travel trailer out in the backyard a week or so ago and didn't even think about it. We'll, the river backed up over night and I had to try to move it... no luck. Got both my Jeeps stuck and had to winch them out. Later today, my neighbor is bringing his backhoe over to rescue my trailer from the rising waters...

Here are some photos from yesterday... I'll post a few more later of the backhoe destroying the rest of my yard. :)

IMG00083.jpg

IMG00084.jpg

IMG00085.jpg

Worst part is, I didn't get the trailer moved a single foot... damnit. All that for nothing. In that last photo you can sort of see the water its now sitting in...

Holy Jesus man!! Best of luck with the removal today.
I'd say RDWHAHB, but it looks like you have to do some work first.

Sucks! I too am tired of the rain. If it makes you feel better, I've got to have my septic system drain field fixed tomorrow, so my yard's going to be torn up too!

Not good. My only worry when it rains heavily is losing the driveway. It's happened twice in five years. Put 95 tons of rock down last winter; it's holding so far.

Well, on the bright side, you shouldn't notice the back how marks too much:(
Best of luck getting your new toy to safety.

Was the winch not powerful enough to attempt pulling the trailer? I don't know much a bout winches. May be a retarded question.

We are going to suspend chains from the bucket of the backhoe to the tongue of the trailer to keep it off the ground... swing the trailer around, then pull it out. It should be very interesting- especially doing it in this weather.

That pretty much sucks.

I want to complain about the unusually cold weather we've had this spring, but when I see that, I can't say anything.

Our weather has bee wet, but nothing like that. Worst is I sat out in the moderate rain to watch my daughter play soccer. It's her first sport (since 4-5 yo) and I thought if she can be out there playing, I can support her and sit in the rain.

Good news is they won their first game!

I guess it beats having to pull your jeeps out of the mud and hire a backhoe to move the camper.

you better hurry up dude. checking the radar and there is something nasty comming our way. seems like it keeps missing lake park. you should think about moving down here. then i'd be able to keep an eye on your brew rig for you when you aren't home. :mug: Flooding is never really an issue, the excess water must shed off into the lakes. all this rain shoud make my hops take off, maybe i'll have enough to give you a few oz this year. good luck.

Yeah, yeah... but I work in Hahira. That's a long commute from Lake Park...

Hell yes I see what's coming. I can't believe this ****... we've got to catch a break here soon. If it would just stop raining for a day to allow the river to flush, we'd be fine...

Just talked to the guys coming... they are about 30 mins away. I don't think they will have too much trouble but what do I know? I'm the ******* who tried to drive back there in my Jeep in the first place. heh

We are going to suspend chains from the bucket of the backhoe to the tongue of the trailer to keep it off the ground... swing the trailer around, then pull it out. It should be very interesting- especially doing it in this weather.

Do you have an extendehoe? I would rather use that and stay back a little bit from the trailer to at least save some of my yard.

Do you have an extendehoe? .

isn't that what they give old hookers?

John I feel for ya man Weather has been f'd up everywhere. I have a friend who lives in Marian and for years he couldnt water his lawn or wash the car now its flooding.

Hope it works out for ya.

Damn John that sucks, glad to see you got your trailer to safety though.

I'm pouring out a 40oz on the sidewalk for your lawn.

Wow. That's lousy. I'll be raising a tall glass of Mild Ale to you and your lawn when I get home...hoping that the rain stops soon.
Glad to hear you got the trailer to safety!

sheesuz that sucks! i'm in albany and it feels like it's been raining a week straight. the flint river was already high before we got all this rain. its downright scary to look at right now if you around for the floods in '94 or '98!

flint.jpg

this is the main bridge that crosses the river in the middle of the city. the water is generally 50ft below the bridge. this was today around 4pm when i was asked to leave work because of all the road closings...

Yeah- Albany and up north of here has been getting pounded... This is the Withlacoochee that dumps into the Suwannee down in FL. The water is still rising but tomorrow and Saturday is supposed to be clear skies...

Well, today was the most surreal day of my life... my house is currently standing in about 6" of water and the river is still rising. We were able to save everything out of it today, along with several other neighbor's houses, and they are still working right now to sandbag others. I'm just exhausted to no end.

All my brewing equipment has been saved, but I dumped 20 gallons of fermenting/fermenting beer today and the walk-in cooler is done for... am going back in tomorrow to get the full kegs and any grain that is dry from inside it.

I'll post photos and videos of it all later... too tired to do so right now.

Man that's bad. There was a lot of flooding around here this winter. I'm high enough I don't worry about it, but the only bridge over the river is an ancient wood structure and one of the supports got knocked out by a large log. True to their roots, a couple locals dragged the log out and sawed it up for firewood. We'll fix the bridge in the summer.

Off Thread
Yep Kaiserslautern, Love the roads around here.
stationed there?

Damn John... that **** sucks. I know how it is with rain like this. FL around storm season is similar. Btw... send that rain down here to FL, we can need that water right now. Let me know where I can pick it up ;)

I don't have but a minute but I thought I'd update this thread. Water is in my house at least four feet deep... it's totaled. I still don't know if its really over at this point. I was able to evacuate but there is still a lot of stuff in there...

Exhausted...

oh damn man, that sucks i hope u got flood insurance, and hope all turns out for the best

sorry to read this john. hope all works out. will be tough but when you remodel make sure they remove everything and get everything treated for mold.

as a side note.

when in the mud like that airing down your vehicle tires helps in gaining traction. but since the yard was so wet probably nothing you can do as that would have been a lot of weight on the back end that wouldnt allow you to pull it out. since you would need those tires to be around 8 to 10psi for best traction. glad the family is safe.

You could always relocate to AZ it is 80 degrees here and I haven't seen rain in months.

Best of luck that really sucks.

Damn that's not good. But I can relate ... storm season here is just around the corner and when looking at last year's Fay or 2004 and 2005... no good. 4ft of water in your house sucks bad.

Yikes, I had no idea this was going on down there. Been out of town so not watching local news. Hang in there bro.

Back