Rahr 2 row Pale Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheadman66

Reaction score
Im looking for a cost efficient way to purchase some 2 row Pale base malt. I have ordered literally thousands of dollars worth of ingredients and materials from Northern Brewer over the past few years with their awesome $7.99 shipping rate but when I tried to checkout with 100 lbs (2 sacks) of Rahr malt for $35 each, the shipping was about $30/sack. I checked two local homebbrew shops and want $1.49/lb ($75) for the sack and they dont really have the stuff I am looking for.

So my question to the forum is has anyone found a good place online to order these sacks of base malt for a decent price?

Best thing is to find a group and do a group buy, ends up taking grain down to around $25 a sack. Are there any home brew clubs near you?

Im looking for a cost efficient way to purchase some 2 row Pale base malt. I have ordered literally thousands of dollars worth of ingredients and materials from Northern Brewer over the past few years with their awesome $7.99 shipping rate but when I tried to checkout with 100 lbs (2 sacks) of Rahr malt for $35 each, the shipping was about $30/sack. I checked two local homebbrew shops and want $1.49/lb ($75) for the sack and they dont really have the stuff I am looking for.

So my question to the forum is has anyone found a good place online to order these sacks of base malt for a decent price?

don't know about online places but I buy RAHR 2-row from local RAHR malting plant for $22 a sack, $100 worth of grains will last me a year :rockin:

Best thing is to find a group and do a group buy, ends up taking grain down to around $25 a sack. Are there any home brew clubs near you?

Im in the Rochester NY area and there is an upstate homebrew association but I think they are more about competitions..... What do you mean a group buy? What company will offer a group buy? A bunch of my buddies all grain brew too so we may have enough to get the group rate....

Im in the Rochester NY area and there is an upstate homebrew association but I think they are more about competitions..... What do you mean a group buy? What company will offer a group buy? A bunch of my buddies all grain brew too so we may have enough to get the group rate....

Go here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/ and look for a thread with locations near you. Everyone gets together and orders a pallet or two worth of grain. Sacks are ~$25-$30. The only downside is that you may have to wait for everyone to get their payments in and get it shipped. Can't really beat the prices though.

Go here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/ and look for a thread with locations near you. Everyone gets together and orders a pallet or two worth of grain. Sacks are ~$25-$30. The only downside is that you may have to wait for everyone to get their payments in and get it shipped. Can't really beat the prices though.

That is awesome. I see there is a Syracuse group buy, will jump on that now! Thanks

don't know about online places but I buy RAHR 2-row from local RAHR malting plant for $22 a sack, $100 worth of grains will last me a year :rockin:

Our local Rahr malting plant will not sell to homebrewers. How did you get in?

Back