Racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickel23

Reaction score
I am brewing my first brown ale. Is there a need to use a secondary fermenter? And if so, do I rack it after the airlock shows bubbling has stopped? The recipe said to let it sit for 3-4 days after the bubbling stopped.

I do not secondary unless I am adding a fruit addition or something. You run the risk of infection and there is no reason for secondary on a beer like you are doing. (Let the flames begin!)
Generally, what I do, is let the beer sit in the primary for at least 2wks then keg or bottle. I will let a big beer, 1.070+, go for longer. If you are fermenting in the mid 60s or so, raising the temp for the last week can help a bit also.
Good luck!

Thank you. The directions basically said I leave it in the fermenter for about 8 days. I thought it was to early, so I will definitely leave it for a full two weeks. Thanks

Use a hydrometer to tell when the fermentation is done,not the airlock. The airlock can slow or stop the mad bubbling when initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly,uneventfully creep down to FG. Then give it another 3-7 days to clean up by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then prime & bottle.

I secondary every single beer for two reasons - one, it frees up my primary, and two, it gives me an extra chance to avoid trub in my bottling bucket.

I will freely admit that secondary is not necessary, but it works for me.

Back