Racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimba009

Reaction score
So i have a mead that was mad on 01/17/2009. It is clearing up nicely, just wondering if i should rack into another carboy or just let it be? No fruit chunks in this batch, all liquid and essence. thanks for the help!

If it is clearing nicely, then I would rack it. I usually rack mine every 2 months. I have found that after racking it will have the ability to clear more. If I just leave it, the clearing does stop at a certian threashold. I guess only a certian amount of fall out takes place and then it simply doesn't clear any more until racked. It is my op that it has to do with the percent that it needs to seperate out. So, I have been in the habit of racking every 2 months, or more if it looks like I got a bunch at the bottom of the carboy.

thanks, sounds good to me. i think i will rack tonight, hope the first tastes are good!

Oh, expect it to taste like antiseptic at this stage. When you go to bottling a little taste may be good but you can only tell fully after aging.

so i did this last night, ya sweet rubbing alcohol was my initial thought. the cloves i used didn't come through very strong, i think this is a good this considering what i have read. time to start another one now that the first is well underway. maybe a blueberry i am thinking. thanks for the tip!

so i did this last night, ya sweet rubbing alcohol was my initial thought. the cloves i used didn't come through very strong, i think this is a good this considering what i have read. time to start another one now that the first is well underway. maybe a blueberry i am thinking. thanks for the tip!

Hey no prob. Something I picked up too, if you do a fruit mead, put the fruit in the secondary fermentation. This way the primary fermentation doesn't rip apart the flavor.

Back