Racking with Krausen still present?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumper

Reaction score
I have searched with limited results for an answer. Now I pose it to you all.

I have a AHS Blue Moon (Belgian Wit) extact clone that has been in the primary since 2/29/09. I took a hydro reading last night and it is @ 1.010. I was going to bottle this on Saturday (3 weeks from pitching), but I still have a good layer of krausen on top. The FG reading suggests that fermentation is complete, but is it better to wait until all of the krausen has fallen, or can I rack to bottling bucket thru the krausen. I used WLP 400 as the yeast (washed from a previous batch, 1 liter starter) in it.

Thanks,

Usually, you do wait until the krausen has fallen. But in some cases, with certain yeast strains in particular, the krausen just hangs on. Since it's been at a decent FG, and it's been in the fermenter for plenty of time, you can rack at any time now.

Thank you Yopper! That is what I was thinking, but wanted some reinforcement. I am still a NEWB after all!

Cheers,

I just bottled this beer about 12 days ago.... took a solid 3 plus weeks for the krausen to fall on mine.

Why do you want to do that?

It won't make your beer done faster or anything....If it has krausen the yeast is still working, it may not even be done fermenting, it may drop further...

Or at least; One thing that the krausen does during the end of fermentation is that it falls and helps clear the beer by pulling all manner of nasties that are in suspension down with it...and it's a natural process and should happen at it's own time...

Don't impose YOUR timeframe on beer brewing...It's not your timeframe it's the yeasties...they're in charge..Believe it or not your only job is putting together a clean factory well stocked with materials, which you did...

When you deal with living microorganisms, you surrender to their timeframe, regardless of what any instructions, or any impatience/excitement might dictate..

A lot of us pitch yeast and come back a month later to bottle or keg, letting the little buggers have plenty of time to not only work but to clean up after they're done.

This isn't making coolaid, it is a game of patience.

If you still have krauzen then LEAVE IT ALONE!!!

At the minimum we recommend that if you do plan on secondary, that you wait til 10-14 days after you pitched your yeast (and when the hydrometer reading for three consequetive days is constant.)

But like I have said before many of us leave the beer alone for 3-4 (use the search for long primary yeast clean up themselves or no secondary for explanations why.)

But until then...

Stepaway_copy.jpg

:mug:

I am not in any real hurry to bottle it. I have left all of my previous batches ( a grand total of 3) in the primary for 4 weeks, then straight to bottling. I was just surprised (due to lack of experience) to see the the FG below recipe target ( a first for me to date) (OG was 1.052 current FG is 1.010) and stil have a 1/2 to 3/4 inch krausen on top. I will most likely wait another week ( been almost 3 now) and pop the lid to check it before doing anything else hence my question. I also have noted that Belgian Wits are best young so that impacted the thought process also.

I really do appreciate all of the guidence given here.

Cheers,

Even a wit, which you consume young I would still wait and see if it fell on it's own over the next few days...I believe in letting natural process happen, rather than force it. I figure they know that they're supposed to fall, and for whatever reason they feel it's not time yet.

Do you have the ability to crash cool? If you do that will drop the krausen.

I was thinking the same thing, BUT with this being a Blue Moon Clone, isn't their supposed to be yeast in suspension? Wheat beer makes me nauseus so I really don't know the stlyle that well...but wouldn't crash cooling also pull too much yeast out?

I have a AHS Blue Moon (Belgian Wit) extact clone that has been in the primary since 2/29/09.

I didnt know it was a leap year :cross:

Like Revvy said you might want to wait it out (at least another week). However...
I like my Kolsch, wit, weiss, wheats, farily fresh so I don't give them the same extended primary time as a porter or IPA. I've had krausen remnants hang out on top for 6 weeks and still not drop so after confirming stable FG vis consecutive days readings, I racked throgh it and tried not to disturb it. Not everything in the krausen is good for your beer, in fact some breweries still practice krausen skimming. IMO the biggest issue with lingering krausen is sometimes all the yeast is up there and not in the wort doing their job. However, you seem to have a decent FG, so I wouldn't worry about that.

I was thinking the same thing, BUT with this being a Blue Moon Clone, isn't their supposed to be yeast in suspension? Wheat beer makes me nauseus so I really don't know the stlyle that well...but wouldn't crash cooling also pull too much yeast out?

No on the ability to really crash cool at this time and yes the style calls for yeast in supension. Pouring directions are to slow pour until about 1/4 bottle is left, swirl the bottle, and pour all of it in the glass.

I will wait it out and see what happens.

Originally Posted by Thumper
I have a AHS Blue Moon (Belgian Wit) extact clone that has been in the primary since 2/29/09 I didnt know it was a leap year . Opps!:confused:

Thanks,

I think Blue Moon is Filtered, It is a poor example of a wit. Hoegarrden has the yeast still in it But If I remember correctley Blue Moon is Filtered.

Back