Racking to Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copachono

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, all i just got my first mead and its still about 1030 OG was 1100, im planning to stabilize and rack to a secondary vessel, but, i have a aquestion, does it need to keep on termperature controlled once its racked and stabillized?, i live in a reallly hot climate its about 30 C all day long and probably higher on summer, i i believe its going to be hard to keep it on the fermenting chamber for 6-9 months

The risk with higher temperatures is if you failed to kill all of the yeast through stabilizing, you could wind up with a bottle bomb when the yeast starts up again depending on how much residual sugars you leave behind.

I could rack tp secondary and leave a airlock on it? Just to be sure, im planning to leave the mead dry then rack and leave for about 2-3 months.

Btw its about 1020 sg but it doesnt taste bad, not quite good either, probably wont need 6 months or so to age i dont sense any off flavor or any fussel alcohol in it, just the smell of the honey ( its just a classic mead, honey+water).

I could rack tp secondary and leave a airlock on it? Just to be sure, im planning to leave the mead dry then rack and leave for about 2-3 months.

Btw its about 1020 sg but it doesnt taste bad, not quite good either, probably wont need 6 months or so to age i dont sense any off flavor or any fussel alcohol in it, just the smell of the honey ( its just a classic mead, honey+water).
Yes, you can rack to secondary & leave an airlock on it. Be mindful of what you leave for headspace though
Too much headspace can potentially oxidize your brew.
Also, FYI....1.020 is not dry, but, in fact, sweet. Dry is 1.000, & when you have dry, you'll know the difference between dry & semisweet immediately.
  • Dry Mead: 0.099 to 1.006
  • Medium Mead: 1.006 to 1.015
  • Sweet Mead: 1.012 to 1.020
  • Dessert Mead: 1.02 +
I hope this helps.
Happy meading 😎

I don't know about mead, but with beer aging happens a lot faster in the heat. So 6 months at 30 will be like 2 years at cellar temps (10-13 or so). Also, in secondary the yeast will probably continue to slowly chew through the rest of the sugar and it will end up dry. Good luck :mug:

Yes, you can rack to secondary & leave an airlock on it. Be mindful of what you leave for headspace though
Too much headspace can potentially oxidize your brew.
Also, FYI....1.020 is not dry, but, in fact, sweet. Dry is 1.000, & when you have dry, you'll know the difference between dry & semisweet immediately.
  • Dry Mead: 0.099 to 1.006
  • Medium Mead: 1.006 to 1.015
  • Sweet Mead: 1.012 to 1.020
  • Dessert Mead: 1.02 +
I hope this helps.
Happy meading 😎
What i meant its that im going to leave to age when the mead its dry, then, stabilized and forget about for another 2 -3 months, then back sweet wait another 2-4 weeks and bottle in regular beer bottles

Back