Racking to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewPostula

Reaction score
Have a quick question about Kruasen. Do I need to wait for it to settle before racking to secondary or do I just draw from right below it?

If you're using a clearing vessel (a secondary), you would wait for the krausen to fall and the beer to start to clear a bit.

Most people don't use a secondary unless doing a secondary fermentation by adding fermentables or for aging on oak however. So if you explain more of what you're doing, we can be more specific on timing and process.

I agree, it depends.. But there is really no need to do a secondary in most cases. And by not doing one you lessen the opportunity to oxidize the beer.

Just bought an extract kit to do my first brew, was an Irish red from northern brewer that I put in a plastic bucket for "primary" fermentation. Instructions from the kit and videos online say to rack to "secondary" (glass carboy) after 2 weeks, which is tomorrow but I have an inch thick layer of krausen on top. Wanted to rack and brew an extract dunkelwiess Sunday but didn't know if I should wait

Plan to ferment the dunkel in your carboy and leave the red in the primary until it is done fermenting.

You run a higher risk of infection too when you transfer to a secondary. And it only provides marginal if any clarity to the beer. I promise you’re beer will awesome without a secondary.

I’ve been brewing for well over 10 years and I only use a secondary when I want to harvest yeast before the beer is done. (There’s other valid reasons but not many and not for me)

Also, every now and then you get a krausen that just won’t fall. After two weeks you ought to be about finished fermenting, at room temperature. You might want to start taking some gravity readings.

Just bought an extract kit to do my first brew, was an Irish red from northern brewer that I put in a plastic bucket for "primary" fermentation. Instructions from the kit and videos online say to rack to "secondary" (glass carboy) after 2 weeks, which is tomorrow but I have an inch thick layer of krausen on top. Wanted to rack and brew an extract dunkelwiess Sunday but didn't know if I should wait

Unfortunately the NB instructions, and most other suppliers instructions, include the use of a secondary even though it is not necessary to brew great beer. Reading Palmer's "How to Brew" and Charlie Papazian's "Joy of Home Brewing" will offer a full explanation.

Two or three fermentors are good to have on hand.

People who do not rack to a secondary (carboy) mostly always say "if, maybe and could".

To each their own. I rack to a carboy EVERY TIME and have never had an issue with oxidation or sanitation in my 24 years of brewing.

EDIT: If you do a secondary it doesn't mean you're doing something wrong.

Last edited:
I don't secondary unless I'm dry hopping, adding fruit or adding some other flavor that needs to sit such as nibs, cocoa powder, coffee or wood cubes.

Edit: I don't really find it's a necessary step so I've omitted it except for above listed exceptions. Mainly adds time and more cleaning.

Last edited:
If you rack to secondary, you are doing something, whether it is good or bad is to be judged by the guy making the beer. This is the reason I like the brülosohy guys. Most exbeeriments just find “is it different” In the end product. Saying “it is not necessary to rack to secondary” because you are parroting what someone else said is the same as saying that “it is important to rack to secondary every time.” Certainly there is valid reasoning to do or not do something, but in the end it is the prerogative of the brewer to decide what to do. One great reason to not rack your beer to a glass carboy secondary is the broken carboy injuries page.

I just did that exact brew, and didn’t rack to a secondary. 2 wks in the primary and racked it. Sometimes those instructions are a guideline but if u ever have questions call Northern Brewer. They are awesome.

I don't use a secondary, so maybe I'm biased. But even if you decide to eventually use a secondary as part of your normal process, I feel you're much better off not using a secondary for at least the first few batches - keep things as simple as possible.

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up just brewing my dunkelwiess and through it in another fermentor. Unfortunately on brew day I broke my hydrometer :-(.. so no gravity reading from my red. Ordered a new one, excited to see where it's at. My wheat beer has taken off with a great start to fermentation!!
20180507_154729.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up just brewing my dunkelwiess and through it in another fermentor. Unfortunately on brew day I broke my hydrometer :-(.. so no gravity reading from my red. Ordered a new one, excited to see where it's at. My wheat beer has taken off with a great start to fermentation!!View attachment 569216

Lol. Good work! Getting another fermenter or some more equipment and just brewing another batch really can solve just about any beer related problem!! You’re going fit in great on this forum.

I thought the reason for secondary transfer was the concern of off-flavors from extended contact with autolysis of dead yeasts cells. This is a non-concern for smaller batches with less than 12? weeks in the fermenter. I don't know upper size limitations, but non concern for 5-10gal batches.

As mentioned above, I only do secondary transfer when I have specific additions or extended bulk aging.

I’ve only been all-grain brewing beer since the new year, but have noticed a significant improvement in both taste and clarity of final product when I rack after primary fermentation is complete. I make cider, too, and in my cider book the author writes you rack after primary fermentation to reduce biomass of the “must” primarily for clarity in the final product.

I’ve only been all-grain brewing beer since the new year, but have noticed a significant improvement in both taste and clarity of final product when I rack after primary fermentation is complete. I make cider, too, and in my cider book the author writes you rack after primary fermentation to reduce biomass of the “must” primarily for clarity in the final product.

This is another example of "what works for you". When I started I did a few using a secondary. Then I tried without a secondary. The beers without secondary were every bit as good as the ones with, and just as clear, so I felt OK with eliminating that step.

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up just brewing my dunkelwiess and through it in another fermentor. Unfortunately on brew day I broke my hydrometer :-(.. so no gravity reading from my red. Ordered a new one, excited to see where it's at. My wheat beer has taken off with a great start to fermentation!!View attachment 569216

Genius use of Saran Wrap to keep that big mouth lid down. I’m gonna have to use that technique next time.

Back