Racking to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedragoon85

Reaction score
Hi, I currently have a 5 gallon batch of Ale Mead in my primary fermenter. My friend is making this mead and he is using my primary. However, I am in a need to use my primary and I was wondering if it was ok to go ahead and rack to secondary. The mead has been in the primary for exactly 3 weeks and started fermenting during the second day after I pitched in the Yeast. He is using an AHS Ale Mead recipe. O.G. = 1.040. Approximately 5.9% ABV (according to instructions). I heard him mention that meads take about a month to ferment (something I wasn't prepared for), but since this is really a low gravity mead in itself I wouldn't think it would take so long. Anyhow, it is still fermenting at a slow steady pace (has been for quite a while) and I plan on brewing later today and I will need the primary. Is it ok if I just rack to the secondary even though it is not completely done fermenting? How long should I expect the mead to ferment?

no just let it finish. my braggot has been in primary for 8 days and the gravity change is only .0121 giving abv of only 2% in 8 days

you need to test it with a hydro. 1.040 is a super low ABV mead, and won't take a month to ferment as long as there was enough yeast and things progressed normally.

Back