Racking to Secondary - Splashing (oops)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobVT3

Reaction score
So I racked my Two-Hearted Clone to a secondary after fermenting for 7 days. Normally when I transfer my wort to the primary, I filter it through a mesh strainer. Forgot to do that this past time so I figured I when I racked to secondary (carboy) from primary (bucket) I would attempt to filter it (even though in hindsight I'm sure I didn't need to). I wasn't even thinking about the fact that I would be oxidizing my beer. When racking to secondary not only did the the wort splash in the bottom the entire time, it passed through the mesh strainer which probably aided in oxidizing the beer. So how likely is that I ruined it?

Ruined it? Not terribly likely, especially if you weren't planning on aging it for long time. Choosing to use a secondary vessel automatically puts you at more risk for oxidation, though.

Well, I'd be nervous personally if what I'm picturing in my head is what you did. Hopefully you've got enough activity left in the wort to offset it a bit. Any chance you took a gravity reading? If so, what was your OG and the gravity reading when transferred?

Please do update this thread once it's carbed and tasted. Interested to see what happens.

Well, I'd be nervous personally if what I'm picturing in my head is what you did. Hopefully you've got enough activity left in the wort to offset it a bit. Any chance you took a gravity reading? If so, what was your OG and the gravity reading when transferred?

Please do update this thread once it's carbed and tasted. Interested to see what happens.

It's probably just as you're picturing in your head. I did not take a reading when I transferred. I have a light bubble coming out of my airlock every 15-20 seconds (transfered 2 hours ago). I'm not sure if this is any guarantee that the CO2 will fill the carboy up and purge the O2 though. Will the O2 that was introduced during transfer come to the top of the carboy or is it suspended in the beer? Should I add corn sugar to activate the yeast and hopefully purge the O2?

It's probably just as you're picturing in your head. I did not take a reading when I transferred. I have a light bubble coming out of my airlock every 15-20 seconds (transfered 2 hours ago). I'm not sure if this is any guarantee that the CO2 will fill the carboy up and purge the O2 though. Will the O2 that was introduced during transfer come to the top of the carboy or is it suspended in the beer? Should I add corn sugar to activate the yeast and hopefully purge the O2?

It is a chemical reaction, so whatever damage has been done is pretty much irreversible. Bubbling will drive some of the oxygen out of the head-space (which could lead to more oxidation), but won't do anything to the oxygen that has already reacted. In any case, drink quick and have a long, serious think about your relationship with secondaries :D

It is a chemical reaction, so whatever damage has been done is pretty much irreversible. Bubbling will drive some of the oxygen out of the head-space (which could lead to more oxidation), but won't do anything to the oxygen that has already reacted. In any case, drink quick and have a long, serious think about your relationship with secondaries :D

Thanks for the info. I guess the idea of my beer being clearer is the main reason I use a secondary. Not sure if it's actually true, but I hear ya. I may just stick to primary for now on. Do you dry hop in a primary?

The reason I asked for the reading is I was hoping you had an OG of 50 and transferred at 40+. You'd at least have a fighting chance in that case. However, after re-reading your post I'm guessing the bulk of the business has already happened since it's been a week.

Either way, proceed as planned. If you keg I'd recommend getting it on CO2 in the next week or so as it can then carb and condition at the same time. That way you're drinking a bit sooner.

Good luck and please report back. Who knows, you may really like it once it's done.

cp

Thanks for the info. I guess the idea of my beer being clearer is the main reason I use a secondary. Not sure if it's actually true, but I hear ya. I may just stick to primary for now on. Do you dry hop in a primary?

The only time I secondary these days is if I'm dry hopping (you can dry hop in a primary as well keep in mind) or if I'm really looking to clear the beer for style purposes. Although, many people here report that they make very clear beer without a secondary as well.

The reason I asked for the reading is I was hoping you had an OG of 50 and transferred at 40+. You'd at least have a fighting chance in that case. However, after re-reading your post I'm guessing the bulk of the business has already happened since it's been a week.

Either way, proceed as planned. If you keg I'd recommend getting it on CO2 in the next week or so as it can then carb and condition at the same time. That way you're drinking a bit sooner.

Good luck and please report back. Who knows, you may really like it once it's done.

cp

I'm not set up for kegging so it will be a few weeks before I can tell how bad the damage is. I'll make sure to update this post when I try it for the first time (probably 2-3 weeks after bottling). I won't have the hops for dry hopping until Monday so I figure I'll bottle Friadyish to limit the time it has to oxidize. Lesson learned.

Sounds good.

Just make sure your FG is in line prior to bottling. You do not want to bottle too soon as you could end up with bottle bombs.

I would add a half pound of disolved sugar or malt extract. Get the yeast working again to scrub the oxygen out of the beer. Just a layer of CO2 will not help get the O2 out.

I would like to know how this turned out also. Per Revvy's suggestions, I'm leaving the primary alone for at least 3-4 weeks and skipping secondary (even though I may dry hop in there).

Also, Rob - clear out your PMs so I can get in touch!

MalFet said:

Very helpful post and info - thanks!

Back