Racking to keg prior to recieving co2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mforsman

Reaction score
Hey all,

I did some searching, but I wasn't able to find a topic on this. I have some beers ready to go in to kegs that just arrived, the only problem is I don't have co2 yet. I know you are supposed to purge the headspace after racking to a keg, but does this matter if I'm just storing the keg until the rest of my kegging supplies/fridge are here?

Thanks!

Thanks for the help everyone. I decided to just let them sit in the carboys until my tank shows up and I can get it filled. Patience is the name of the game with beer.

I prime my cornies and let them cond. at room temp. That way they'r ready to drink as soon as you chill them but they will get better tasting with some time in the frig. Just be sure and pay attention to your liquid out side for a while, I had one that the poppet wasn't seated well and beer leaked out on the floor when it started building pressure. The same thing can happen on CO2 in the frig. if you don't have a faucet hooked up.

I never purge before I rack or afterwards if it isn't going in the fridge for a while and I've never had any issues. I've never had beer stay in a keg for longer than 8 weeks either so that might make a difference too. :drunk:

Back