Racking to keg, dry hopping, and conditioning schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blk94f150

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA on the 10th and I want to get it out the the freezer ASAP to make room for a 10 gallon Irish red.

Can I rack to keg after reaching my FG (guessing about 2 weeks max), throw in the 1oz Centennial in the SS ball, the priming sugar, and then let it sit for about 3 weeks? I'm trying to accomplish ageing, dry hopping and carbonating all in one step so I can get my pipeline back on track.

Mike

It sounds good to me. I personnaly would leave it in the primary for at least three weeks. With your schedule, you are looking at only 5 weeks total. The beer may still be a bit green at that point, but should be drinkable.

It would taste ok, but you'd have a ton of sediment (hops particles, as well as trub) in the keg. I'd probably rack to a carboy for dry hopping, and then rack again to a keg.

Is it OK to condition at room temps? Should be around 70 where I plan to store it. I'd have to get a new hop container to fit through the neck of a 5 gallon carboy.

Are you suggesting racking to secondary just for clearing vs 3 weeks in primary? If so I'll just leave the beer in the primary for 3 weeks.

I just need more freezers.

Mike

Is it OK to condition at room temps? Should be around 70 where I plan to store it. I'd have to get a new hop container to fit through the neck of a 5 gallon carboy.

Are you suggesting racking to secondary just for clearing vs 3 weeks in primary? If so I'll just leave the beer in the primary for 3 weeks.

I just need more freezers.

Mike

Actually, yes, you SHOULD condition at room temperature. I just throw the hops in my carboy, since I gave up on trying to get a bag of hops in a carboy. Or, worse, getting them out. What I like to do if I'm dryhopping is either dry hop in primary after 2 weeks (or until fermentation is over for about a week), or rack to the carboy for dryhopping. I get similar results, but less sediment in the keg that way.

Back