Racking time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinisterdeer

Reaction score
Okay I am having the darndest time figuring out my racking cane and how to get the siphon going.. I do not want to use my mouth if I dont have to. Any suggestions so that I dont risk contamination.

Thank you!

Assuming you have a standard auto-siphon...put the racking cane with the 'stick' connected to the hose inserted in. Submerge the tip, and slowly pull the stick up. You'll see some beer climb inside the larger tube...Before you pull the inner stick out, slowly plunge it down and you'll probably see beer coming up through and out of the tube. Sometimes it may take a pump or two to get good suction.

Remember to try to keep the end of the hose submerged in the bucket or keg, and keep it from splashing, to minimize effects of oxidation.

I know those aren't the correct terms for the auto-siphon parts...but I'm trying to keep it simplistic.

Assuming you have a standard auto-siphon...put the racking cane with the 'stick' connected to the hose inserted in. Submerge the tip, and slowly pull the stick up. You'll see some beer climb inside the larger tube...Before you pull the inner stick out, slowly plunge it down and you'll probably see beer coming up through and out of the tube. Sometimes it may take a pump or two to get good suction.

Remember to try to keep the end of the hose submerged in the bucket or keg, and keep it from splashing, to minimize effects of oxidation.

I know those aren't the correct terms for the auto-siphon parts...but I'm trying to keep it simplistic.
Unfortunately I dont have one of those, but it's on my shopping list for the next batch for sure!.. thank you

Thank you!! These are some great methods that I will definitely try, I till I get that auto siphon

And depending on where you go from here in your brewing equipment-wise...there's closed transfers, using a fermentation device with a spigot, etc., thus eliminating the need for the siphon. Lots of options depending on the size of the batch, what type of batch, fear of oxidation, etc. You'll find what works best. I still use an auto-siphon after all these years.

I use a small pump to transfer from fermenter to keg or bottles. Pumps about a gallon per min . 330E7031-F115-4107-9AAD-319B9ACE5427.png

I didn't watch the video, but I didn't have an auto-siphon for years (result: just buy the auto-siphon). I used to put no-rinse sanitizer in my line by spraying it in while holding it up, then drop it fast to get a good siphon started.

Never used my mouth. Don't do that. bad idea.

Back