Racking through the beer out line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I just couldn't quite find what I was looking for w/ the search function.

So yeah, does it work? I use better bottles w/ the racking adapter, and I was wondering if I could attach a disconnect to the end of my racking hose and just rack straight through the beer out port in the keg. I figured this way I could keep O2 exposure to an absolute minimum after experiencing my first oxygenated batch earlier this month.

Anybody do this? Is there anything I'm overlooking?

I dont see why not, just be sure to run sanitizer through the diptube and the post beforehand (siphon starsan through the beer out line)

yo CC! Looking forward to your outcome with the summit hopped ale :) On topic, actually I rack that way always. If you use a carboy cap, you should be able to fit I think a 3/8" hose or racking cane (could be a 5/16, not sure) through the center opening, then wedge a picnic tap onto that hose and open the tap and relief valve on the keg. I push the beer out with co2 via the other carboy cap hole.

Cheers bro

Thanks budz! I've been reading up on a similar process and will definitely give that a shot next time. It's amazing how you keep finding little things to tweak the more get into this crazy hobby.

As far as the summit APA, for whatever reason I had terrible, terrible efficiency. I normally buy my grain crushed from Brewmaster's Warehouse and get consistent 75-80% efficiency, but I was in the Austin area and stopped by AHS instead. Not sure why because I've had decent results w/ them as well...but I barely topped 60% this time for an OG of 1.044. This is my only ever sub 70% batch, so I'm hoping I just got a bad hydro reading or something because I can't for the life of me figure out what happened.

Either way, should make for an interesting brew! 45 IBU's on a 1.044 beer? At least they were all late additions!

Back