racking strike water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogboyBrew

Reaction score
Alright, so making the movie to all grain. I don't have the funds to invest in a pot with a ball valve, so my question is this: How do I rack my strike water into the mash tun? I'm going to assume that the 170deg water wouldn't be too kind to a plastic racking cane.

I just pick up the pot and (carefully) dump it out into the mash tun. Usually, the strike water is 3-ish gallons for a session beer and 4 for something a little heavier. It's manageable, but with caution.

Never tried it, but suppose you could use one of these to start the siphon.

476294.jpg

I use a couple of cheap plastic beer pitchers from summer festivals. Each one is a half gallon so it's not too bad to get 3-5 gallons transferred depending on volume needed.

Not much, I end up heating my strike water 5deg over target and between the transfer and the heat that my mashtun absorbs I'm dead on my target mash-in temp. I'd say most of that is the heat absorbed into my mashtun (I recently quit pre-heating it as it was just wasted water compared to slightly overheating the strike water)

Back