Racking ?'s I'm still not comfortable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dextersmom

Reaction score
This can apply to either racking to a secondary or racking to a bottling bucket.....when nearing the end of the siphoning; should i be lifting the hose slowly out of the target receptacle? I would imagine if i just let it run dry then i'd get air in my beer.

Any tips / pointers you guys could shoot my way would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I never worry about such things and I've never had oxidation problems. The tiny amount of oxygen that will be introduced is not enough to concern yourself with, IMO.

well its not the process of doing it...its just the part at the very end...which doesn't seem to be explained anywhere...not here..not in any reading that i've done...so far i've just winged it and lifted the tube out right before i finished the siphoning....is that pretty much what everyone else does or do you guys have other methods....this is what i'm trying to understand....

EDIT: *** sounds good thanks Jaded and Evan ***

Yeah, as soon as I see a substantial portion of the liquid in the tube turn cloudy from trub, I lift the autosiphon out of the carboy bottom. This leads to a sucking sound and obvious bubbles in the tube. Once the siphon has ended, I drop the AS back to the bottom and slowly pull the tube from the wort, allowing it all to drain. Again, there's not enough oxygen to worry about...

seeing as after the beer has finished flowing through the tub there is no way of the oxygen getting pulled along behind it (through cohesion), i think you have nothing to worry about. the only reason i ever see bubbles come up in my carboy i'm siphoning to is if i accidentally let the racking cane come out of the beer and suck a little air in that gets pushed forward by more beer coming in behind it.

hope that made sense, but the point is i don't think you have anything to worry about.

Latest posts

Back