Racking help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daparish

Reaction score
I've just racked my second batch to a secondary fermentor and I've got some questions for you Brew-rus (Thats right,Brewer + Guru). My batch is a coffee stout, and I was only racking to a secondary because I had crushed some coffee beans and I was planning on letting the stout condition on top of these in the secondary. I took the FG of this batch and then checked again two days later and it was constant, so I prepped and santized and began to rack.

I moved the primary out of the closet and set it up to rack. While I was racking, it didn't seem like I was getting alot of yeast into the siphon (I watched for the brown cloudy stuff, didn't see much). I got all the beer in the secondary and left a good amount of trub and yeast in the primary. I put an airlock on it and put it in the closet.

This morning, I took a gender at it, and my layer of coffee bean is covered with yeast!!! So this leads me to my questions:

1. Will the flavor of my beans be negated by the yeast covering them?

2. Anyone have some tips for getting a clean rack. Off the top of my head, I should've let the primary sit for 20 mintues after I hefted it out of the closet, because I'm sure that stirred up some sediment. Is there anything else I can do, or will my racking skill just naturally increase with further batches?

You'll be fine. The yeast at this point is beer flavored so it's not going to affect anything. And whatever gets through during a racking to secondary will settle down..that's the point of secondary to let the beer clear.

Everybody kicks stuff up, rarely is the surface of our beer perfectly clear. Rising Co2 buoys yeast up to the surface all the time, we even have a name for them, "yeast rafts."

Just relax....everything is fine.

You'll be fine. The yeast at this point is beer flavored so it's not going to affect anything. And whatever gets through during a racking to secondary will settle down..that's the point of secondary to let the beer clear.

Everybody kicks stuff up, rarely is the surface of our beer perfectly clear. Rising Co2 buoys yeast up to the surface all the time, we even have a name for them, "yeast rafts."

Just relax....everything is fine.

Thanks for the piece of mind Revvy.

Back