Quantcast

racking from keg to keg

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

surfingpl

Reaction score
I was reading about conditioning in the keg, then when you're ready to serve you would rack from that keg into a new one in order to leave more of the sediment behind. Is this a good idea? Would you do this if you are using a carboy secondary, or is this like using the keg as a secondary? What kind of siphoning device would you use - an extra long racking cane? Could you use an auto siphon? Thanks!

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
surfingpl said:
I was reading about conditioning in the keg, then when you're ready to serve you would rack from that keg into a new one in order to leave more of the sediment behind. Is this a good idea? Would you do this if you are using a carboy secondary, or is this like using the keg as a secondary? What kind of siphoning device would you use - an extra long racking cane? Could you use an auto siphon? Thanks!
Using a keg to condition is common. It’s just another form of a secondary.

Whether you re-rack again depends on the amount of sediment you think is in the keg.

If you have a substantial yeast cake in the secondary (keg), leaving that beer on it for it’s duration may not be a good idea.

My rule is once the beer is flowing clear through the racking cane, that is my last rack.

I just use a simple siphon to move all my beer.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
You can use beer line to run from one keg to another. You just need a length with a liquid out on both ends. Push out of one keg into the "out" of the second. You will have to purge the excess gas out of the second as it's filling.

OP
S

surfingpl

Reaction score
Would that pick up the sediment you were trying to leave behind? The pick-up tube in the first keg goes down to the bottom right?

wilserbrewer

BIAB Expert Tailor
Reaction score
I did this the other day to move the 1-2 gallons remaining in a keg. All I did was shove a small 3-4" piece of 3/8? tubing on both picnic taps, opened both taps and lowered the pressure in the recieving keg. Easy peasy!

david_42

Reaction score
9 times out of 10, I just draw a pint & it will be running clear. If I feel a batch needs to be racked, I'll go the extra step and filter it.

ShortSnoutBrewing

Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
Reaction score
surfingpl said:
Would that pick up the sediment you were trying to leave behind? The pick-up tube in the first keg goes down to the bottom right?
A lot of us that keg cut the bottom of that tube so that it's not sitting right on the bottom and will leave sediment behind.

OP
S

surfingpl

Reaction score
Ok, I think for now I will try using a better bottle for secondary, then just put it in the keg and serve. Probably wont move from keg to keg.