racking cane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostnfoam

Reaction score
Right now i have a simple set up and after reading all this information i belive that i wanna add some new equipment. the first thing is my carboy, right now after my primary i use and auto siphon to transfer to the carboy. once it's all full i use a stopper and the airlock. i was wondering if i should use a carboy cap and a racking cane instead. if so, what would the advantages be.

next on the list is my primary. was also thinking of trying to do two brews at once so i would need a second primary and seconday. right now i have bucket and a carboy. i wanted to go to two carboys to see whats going on. just not sure to get two glass carboys or to go with better bottle. i have also read so stuff on the better botle as well as the glass carboys and how they tend to break with misuse well any other suggestion would help.:mug:

The auto siphon is the way to go in my book - it's the first thing I upgraded and couldn't imagine going back to a racking cane.

Best way to go is two glass carboys.

For racking use a racking cane but pressurise the Primary with a little CO2. The best auto syphon ever.
racking%20to%20secondary.JPG

right now im doing extract brewing. i dont think im ready to take on AG. how much would a set up like that coast? the co2 is no problem i have plenty of paint ball canasters.

my goal right now is to better my tranfer so i get as little junk in to the bottles. so any other suggestions on equipment to up date or get.

right now i have

2 plastic pales
1 glass carboy
auto siphon
3 part air lock
two bottle jet wash
bottle capper
hydrometer ( still not good at useing it)
bottle filler
nylon grain bag

:tank:

where did you find that it looks really cool, can't seem to find it online or im not looking in the right places

If you're happy with the the set up you have then leave it. No need to change just for the sake of it.

Where are you located? I don't think I'd go to the hassle of CO2 just for syphoning. You can do the same thing with lung power. Instead of sucking on the syphon tube just blow firmly on the carboy cap.

As for cost. The fermenting side of it is exactly the same.

Going to AG you need.......

a way to Supply enough hot water for the process.
a way to do a full boil. (6g+)
a container to mash in and drain the wort.

I made mine including burner and kettle for less than £70

Back