Racking cane in boiling wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plan9

Reaction score
Can a normal acrylic racking can handle boiling wort, or should I pick up a stainless one?

I'm trying to figure out how to get my wort out of the kettle, and through my CFC.

I wouldn't use acrylic in boiling wort. How about a wort wizard? I have never used them, but seems like a good idea. Or maybe get a weldless valve on your kettle.

www.wortwizard.com

A valve is in the long term plans, but I'm looking at short term, like this weekend, kinda plans.

I was in a similar boat a while back. Built a CFC, and like the day before brew day, realized I had no way to get the wort through it. I wound up buying a foot of 3/8" copper tubing, and soldering a 1/2" end cap on there to act like the plastic caps on racking cane tips.

The whole ordeal pretty much sucked, between trying to maintain a siphon (with a hop bag on the racking cane) and trying to regulate the water flow to maintain the wort temp where I needed it... That was one of the two times I used the CFC before selling it and switching to an immersion chiller. I think it would have been a lot better if I'd been using a kettle valve.

YMMV...

13970-warpedautosiphon.jpg

Bad idea.:mad:

5 Is Not Enough said:
13970-warpedautosiphon.jpg

Bad idea.:mad:

Now that is a hilarious picture. Your autosiphon looks so sad...

Plan9 ... you could get a stainless racking cane at your LHBS for the short-term. More $, but boiling wort wouldn't be a problem.

I saw that. It's a pretty good idea.
I was going to buy a SS cane, but Frankenjaeger mentioned copper, and it got me looking through the garage. I found a 2 foot piece of 3/8 copper, and I'm going to bend my own.

The piece of copper was a little too short to make a nice curve at the top and bottom, and still stand up.
So I came up with another solution.

The pot came with a turkey stand that has a false bottom, and a pole.
I wired the copper to it with a flat bend at the bottom.
Just lower it in on top of the trub, and your good to go. In theory.

2305907356_ec6893f45c.jpg

2305108585_d524723b96.jpg

That's excellent, but you should use high temp hose because that hose will melt in half during your siphon. I learned that one in the same siphon that warped my auto-siphon. See picture in earlier post if you need your memory jogged...

What type of hose can withstand these temps, and not impart off-flavors in the wort?
I'm thinking rubber hose would add some funky flavors.

Back