Racking cane filter??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acesb422

Reaction score
Just wondering if there is anyway to filter when you are racking your beer from the primary to the bottling bucket?????

I have taken a piece cut from the bottom of a hopsack, and 2 rubberbands, let them soak in sanitizer and attached them to the bottom of my autosiphon...In retrospect I think I would attach them first then dip them in my sanitizer, it is kind of hard to rubberband wet cloth. Depending on what size particles, you could use a piece of pantyhose, or any kind of net material. Just make sure you sanitize it and the rubberbands.

acesb422 said:
Just wondering if there is anyway to filter when you are racking your beer from the primary to the bottling bucket?????

Racking Cane Steel Mesh Filter
4040.jpg

I've heard people talking about the cap on the end of a racking cane. Do those serve any purpose or are they just for sanitation?

They're inside-out umbrella shaped, sorta, and they are there so that if/when the end of the racking cane gets near the bottom, it's raised enough so that very little trub gets sucked in.

I use a piece of black window screen and a rubber band. Just take extra precaution in sanitizing. Works very well and is not too fine as to cause clogging.

If you're not in a hurry, a coffee filter is really excellent, but it slows down the transfer to little more than a trickle.

what about taking a piece of a muslin bag? would that work as well?

i have some of the nylon ones that i'll be using and the muslin ones are just going to be sitting around. figured i might be able to use one of these since my racking cane is plastic and it appears the SS filter above isn't recommended for plastic.

riored4v said:
what about taking a piece of a muslin bag? would that work as well?

i have some of the nylon ones that i'll be using and the muslin ones are just going to be sitting around. figured i might be able to use one of these since my racking cane is plastic and it appears the SS filter above isn't recommended for plastic.

That'll work fine...it just depends on what you're straining out. If you have brewed a basic beer, with no adjuncts like fruit peels or seed, or stuff like that, and you have let it settle, there's really little that you have to worry about straining. Everything should have fallen into the trube, and of you have your racking cane above the it, then you should be okay.

Just don't forget to sanitize everything.

The racking cane tips work great. They cause the beer to be sucked up from the top of the tip and you can just let it sit on the bottom without worry.

rackingcanetip.jpg

Back