racking back to secondary from carbed keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintandhisbeer

Reaction score
Long story short I went to the store while my buddy racked my California common into keg... I forced carbed the keg and when It was time to drink it I saw that there was a lot of yeast particals/residue in the beer (super cloudy)... He definitely pulled off the beer very close to the yeast cake. I was wondering if I can transfer to secondary and let all that crap sink to the bottom of the carboy then throw back in the keg..... The beer taste great by the way, I just know if I drank it I'd be pooping like crazy lol

I would just let it all settle out in the keg for a while. The first pint or two will be yeasty and cloudy but you should have clear beer after that. I don't see any benefit from transferring it back to a carboy. Everything will probably settle out quicker in the keg because you're basically cold crashing the whole time.

I would just let it settle out in the keg. The first glass or two you pull after that should take out most of it. Racking it back into a secondary just introduces a mess of oxidation and sanitary concerns.

I would just let it all settle out in the keg for a while. The first pint or two will be yeasty and cloudy but you should have clear beer after that. I don't see any benefit from transferring it back to a carboy. Everything will probably settle out quicker in the keg because you're basically cold crashing the whole time.

I pulled a few pints and the first couple were super frothy, I let it sit for 8 hrs then pulled another and it's more clear but still real cloudy and I can see some of that yeast residue.... If it settles down wouldn't it still be pouring sediment since the line pulls from the bottom of the keg?

Thanks guys :)

I pulled a few pints and the first couple were super frothy, I let it sit for 8 hrs then pulled another and it's more clear but still real cloudy and I can see some of that yeast residue.... If it settles down wouldn't it still be pouring sediment since the line pulls from the bottom of the keg?

Thanks guys :)

Just let it sit for like a week or so (same thing you would do if you put it back into a carboy) and most everything should settle out. Then when the keg pulls from the bottom it will pull out all of the trub in the first pint or two. So you're basically racking the trub out from underneath the beer.

Just let it sit for like a week or so (same thing you would do if you put it back into a carboy) and most everything should settle out. Then when the keg pulls from the bottom it will pull out all of the trub in the first pint or two. So you're basically racking the trub out from underneath the beer.

Appreciate the help bud, cheers!

Latest posts

Back