Racking and Secondary Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajm

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm wondering what the simplest method for transferring my hard cider from one carboy to another. I don't have tubing, hydrometers, etc. Really just want to ensure that my primary gets moved over properly, in a sanitized manner to the 5 gallon glass jug that I have purchased.

Also, what is the best method of going about sanitizing my 5 gallon jug? I've boiled everything to this point.

Thank you!

-Andrew

Honestly best way is to go to a hardware store and buy some tubing. For sanitizing you can buy some sanitizer or a ten to one water to bleach, but it has to be rinsed very well.

Hi,

I'm wondering what the simplest method for transferring my hard cider from one carboy to another. I don't have tubing, hydrometers, etc. Really just want to ensure that my primary gets moved over properly, in a sanitized manner to the 5 gallon glass jug that I have purchased.

Also, what is the best method of going about sanitizing my 5 gallon jug? I've boiled everything to this point.

Thank you!

-Andrew

If you don't have any tubing how will you put it in bottles.

I would just leave it in the primary until it is ready to bottle.

For sanitizing use a Starsan soulution.

easiest way to move the cider: an auto-siphon.

sanitizing: use star san or iodophor.

in case you're not familiar with any of the above, try searching for them at an online homebrew supply shop (or search this forum).

you cant just pour it into another jug (sanitized) and throw it in the fridge?

When you do this, you are aerating your hard worked for cider. Oxygen is bad at this stage. Siphoning with the tube at the bottom of the secondary keeps aeration to a minimum. You are filling from the bottom up.

If you're going to drink it in a day or two, you can.

If you've ever opened a bottle of wine, and then recorked it and drank it the next day you will know what a little oxygen does to it.

If you poured a whole bunch of cider, you'll ruin a whole bunch of cider. You need to keep it topped up to the bung, and then gently siphon when bottling or transferring.

Back