racking and headspace

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkvail

Reaction score
I plan to rack my strawberry/lemonaide wine (maybe 3 weeks old?) as soon as my local wine store gets another 3 gallon carboy in stock in a week or so because it's got a lot of sediment now. My question is: when I rack, I'll lose some volume - should I add more juice, or just leave the headspace? It's got a few bubbles in the airlock still, but it's really slowed down - less than one a minute.

should I add more juice, or just leave the headspace? It's got a few bubbles in the airlock still, but it's really slowed down - less than one a minute.

Niether. If you add juice, you're adding more fermentables that will take even more time to ferment. If you leave the headspace you risk oxidation. You have three options I can think of off hand:

1. Add water to top but then you dilute your wine.
2. Add some sort of sanitized filler like marbles in the carboy to add space.
3. Rack to a smaller carboy(s).

Next time, make 1/2 to one gallon more than you plan to transfer to the secondary. You can keep the extra for later topping up in a quart glass container (milk jugs work well) or a half gallon container like a growler from the local pub. Keep a good variety of rubber stoppers and extra airlocks on hand.

You'll restart fermentation, so you'll create more lees. You'll boost the alcohol level (since it'll ferment) so you may cause the wine to become more like rocket fuel than you intended. You'll be basically redoing the primary, and causing whatever clearing that has occurred to be negated. Then, when you do rack, you'll lose some volume, starting the whole process over again.

I have heard mention of topping off with a like wine. What is inferred by the statement like wine? If you were making, say a Chablis and you wanted to top it off with a "like" wine would that be another Chablis? or just a white wine?

If you top of using water-is the dilution noticeable? I have a Chardonnay I will be raking in a few days and it will definitely need something to get the liquid level into the neck of the carboy.

I appreciate any, and all inputs.

If you top of using water-is the dilution noticeable?

That depends entirely on how much you are needing to top off with. The more you top off with the more it affects the abv, the color, the flavor etc. In small amounts, say <1/4 gallon hopefully, it shouldn't have too much effect.

Thanks Tusch, I appreciate the quick reply. Do you have any thoughts on the question of what type of sacrificial wine should be used instead of water for topping up? I am also intrigued by Solstices suggestion on using sanitized glass marbles. If I can find a supply of those that are reasonably priced I will give them a try.

I am in the process of making my first batch of wine and its a Vintners Reserve Chardonnay kit that has been in the carboy for 10 days. The SG is down to 0.9930 and I haven't seen any bubbles in the air lock for a few days so I am pretty sure the fermentation process has pretty well run its course. I still have to go through the step of stirring the sediment back into suspension, adding the stabilizers and clarifiers and then let it clear for a couple weeks. Then I plan to rack it to a 5 gallon carboy for a few months of bulk aging.

I agree with the others, BUT- not in this case, probably.

What I mean is if you are making a VR kit, it's a 6 gallon kit. (So, the five gallon carboy won't work). The instructions specifically instruct you to top up with water, so the wine is a little concentrated before you top up with water. Kits are a bit different- they are actually designed to have water added to them. They usually have concentrated juice in them that you add water to.

Fair enough, go with Yooper on this one, if the kit is designed to be topped off with water then she's right the concentrations would already be taken into account.

Thanks again for all the replies. The instructions say to top off with cool water or a "like Wine". I guess I should just run with it, one way or the other and see what it turns out to be. I'm betting it will be drinkable.

Back