Racking after fermentation to priming question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exaideum

Brown Man Loves Beer
Reaction score
So, slightly confused.

I know I'm supposed to rack my beer from the fermenter to the bottling bucket after putting the priming sugar mixture in the bucket. But, couldn't I just rack the beer into a large pot that I mix the priming mixture into (after the liquid has cooled of course)? What's I'm going to siphon the post, conditioned beer into bottles anyway since I don't have a bottling bucket.

Sure. You can use whatever vessel you have that will hold the total volume of beer you have. If you are doing 1 gallon batches your ideas is fine. For 5 gallons, I think a kettle that large would be rather awkward to boil only a cup or two of sugar water in and it may not adequately sanitize the upper parts of the kettle since the bottom will heat up pretty fast with such a thin layer of liquid.

Sure. You can use whatever vessel you have that will hold the total volume of beer you have. If you are doing 1 gallon batches your ideas is fine. For 5 gallons, I think a kettle that large would be rather awkward to boil only a cup or two of sugar water in and it may not adequately sanitize the upper parts of the kettle since the bottom will heat up pretty fast with such a thin layer of liquid.

Oh, that's true. I guess I could transfer the sugar out while it cools then sanitize the pot and rack. Seems backward but don't really have other vessels large enough.

Rather that transfer the sugar solotion back and forth boil the sugar in a small pot with a good fitting lid for 10 minutes. The heat will sanitize it all. Cool it in the same pot without removing the lid. Sanitize your large kettle in the usual manner and use it as a bottling bucket. You likely already have these items but just in case, you will need a racking cane, suitable tubing, and a method of stopping the flow between bottles.

I just boil water in a microwave, mix in the priming sugar, dump that into a sanitized pot, and rack beer on top of it for bottling. ... and stir gently afterwards.

The only thing fancy about a "bottling bucket" is a spigot so you can gravity feed indeed of siphoning (easier, slightly less aeration). I just bought one but haven't used it yet.

Ironically I think as I've gotten better at reducing aeration it's been taking longer to bottle carb.

Back