Racked to secondary at 1.015 two weeks later is 1.018

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corgi1

Reaction score
I am a newbie to homebrewing. Four weeks ago I brewed an extract kit for Pumpkin Pie cream ale and left it in primary for two weeks. After two weeks the gravity was 1.015 and I racked it to secondary. I just tested it today and the reading is 1.018. Is this something to worry about? It has been sitting in a dark closet and the beer temp has been about 68 degrees. I was expecting it to be closer to a FG of 1.011 this weekend and possibly ready to bottle.

Should I just let it sit longer until the gravity gets down to 1.011?

Your gravity can't go up without adding more sugar, you probably had a concentration of sugars at the bottom and racking it mixed it up.

That makes sense. So I should just give it more time in secondary until it gets to the FG of 1.011?

Leaving it in the secondary longer won't hurt the beer....but it probably won't change much except more yeast will settle out. I think your beer is done.

The gravity can't go up unless you add something. I just suspect that one reading is off a little.

The yeast will consume the ferment-able sugars until they are gone. The two weeks of primary were probably enough that is was done before transferring to secondary. My guess it that you could leave the beer in secondary for as long as you want and it won't go lower.

Extracts often stop at about 1.020 so I am please if my gravity goes below that.

Gravity readings are influenced by temperature. If the liquid temperature was different, the two readings will be different. If there was a change in the amount of CO2 in solution, that would affect your reading as well.

You should also verify the calibration of your hydrometer in water.

A measurement error is the most likely cause, and it is probably done fermenting after 2 weeks. I'd just bottle it

or the temperature when measure was different?

Yes, it is possible that the temperature of the beer two weeks ago was a little warmer, maybe 2 or 3 degrees than it is now. Would a cooler temp now account for a slightly higher reading?

Yes. Look at the slip that came with your hydrometer. There should be a calibration temp and correction factors in there. If the beer is warming the reading is lower and you have to add points to the sg

Back