Racked to secondary and my beer stinks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonos7

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that something went wrong I did 2 batches and they both stink pretty bad, the yeast cake in the bottom isn't as solid as batches I've done in the past its kinda syurpie. Any ideas? should I still keg it? one is a Damnation clone thats going to age for 6 months. Also my first time useing corn sugar is that whats causing the smell?

Is this your first time using the yeast or did you pitch onto a yeast cake? What kind of smell are you picking up, sulfur, vinegar etc?

jonos7 said:
I'm pretty sure that something went wrong I did 2 batches and they both stink pretty bad, the yeast cake in the bottom isn't as solid as batches I've done in the past its kinda syurpie. Any ideas? should I still keg it? one is a Damnation clone thats going to age for 6 months. Also my first time useing corn sugar is that whats causing the smell?

What yeast?

Yes its my first time useing this yeast its White Labs Belgian Sasion I WLP565
It has a stale old beer or keg smell with a hint of vinegar.
the other thing thats new to me is I used yeast food Wyeast Beer Nutrient.
I had really good fermentation I fermented at 68-70 for 9 days

have you eaten any pizza pie from a place that uses cheap cheese, lately?
i think everything stinks- especially dog pee...

I find that a lot of your belgian style yeasts will have a strong odor after the primary. As long as it doesn't taste and smell like sulfur, I proceed. I had several skunked batches when I first started homebrewing and trust me, if it's bad, you'll know. If you're thinking "I can't tell, it's just a little weird" it is probably normal for whatever yeast you are using.

Back