Racked/tasted mixed berry mild last night--question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
I made a dark mild with mixed berries, mostly raspberries, added after flameout & left in the primary. I racked last night onto a little additional puree.

After a quick (4.5 day) primary, this has a nice, still pretty sweet berry flavor (and a beautiful dark purpleish color), and some nice chocolate malt roasty undertones, but not very much beer character, which I'm a little worried about. I've never brewed a mild--does that sound typical?

Of course, the beer character is always lacking in any beer at this stage compared to the final product. Also, the bottom line is that this is mostly for my wife and to give away, so the target drinkers might actually prefer little beer character.

Also, I bottled my summer APA w/lemon last night: simple APA grainbill (2-row, .5 lb lisht crystal, .75 lb carapils) hopped somewhat moderately (35 IBUs) w/ cascade and saaz and with lemon zest added in the boil and in secondary. This is going to be very good. The lemon is a touch bitter right now, but I think it will have mellowed by the time it's ready to drink.

Back