Racked on apricot puree, does this picture look normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbehr

Reaction score
I racked my magic hat #9 clone onto the apricot puree almost a week ago after about 2 weeks in primary. It appears all the puree settled to the bottom, I'm assuming this is normal?

As the beer clears up over the next week or so will this mix in or do I just leave it all behind when I rack to my bottling bucket? I plan on cold crashing for a few days in the fridge next weekend then bottling.

fruitpuree.jpg

Looks better than normal. Sometimes the additional CO2 produced from the additional sugars (read apricot puree) makes the fruit float, which can make transfer to a bottling bucket a bit of a pain. Nice job.

Yep looks great. Do your best to not get any setiment into bottling bucket and you should have no issues. I have done a few beers with puree and that is what mine have looked like. All have tasted great.

I'm about to do an apricot Belgian dubbel. I've got a 3-lb can of puree, but I can't decide to whether to add it to my primary or secondary. I've read that adding it to primary will result in more attenuation/less sweetness in the final product but also less apricot flavor, but I don't have any experience making fruit beers to validate this. Any suggestions?

aspiehler said:
I'm about to do an apricot Belgian dubbel. I've got a 3-lb can of puree, but I can't decide to whether to add it to my primary or secondary. I've read that adding it to primary will result in more attenuation/less sweetness in the final product but also less apricot flavor, but I don't have any experience making fruit beers to validate this. Any suggestions?

Add it after krausening. If you rack to a secondary, add it then. Either way you'll need to give it a longer secondary stage conditioning period.

Back