Racked into Secondary... Too much airspace?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_sanch

Reaction score
This is my first brew and I've experienced a different level of paranoia at each stage of the process so I look to the forums to provide some reassurance/guidance...

After racking into my secondary does it seem like I have too much airspace in my carboy? I'm scared of oxidation...

Montral-20120610-00072.jpg

Montral-20120610-00073.jpg

for a quick couple week secondary for clearing or dry hoping, no its fine.
If its for long term bulk aging, yes its to much air space

It'll be 1-2 weeks at most... If you say longer term should be a problem I'll make sure to be bottling next weekend!

I hate to be that guy but I would suggest skipping the transfer if you're only planning on doing a 1-2 week secondary. Your beer would clear just as well with no risk of oxidation. Most books and howtos will talk about secondary but it has become common practice to do primary only fermentation.

That's alot of space, curious, was your OG on target? I brewed one a few months back and poured into the fermener then checked the gravity -- it was something outrageous like 1.110 or soemthing -- and I looked at it and said "man, need top off" I topped off until the OG was where it was supposed to be and remarkably, it was also at 5 gallons at that point.

That's alot of space, curious, was your OG on target? I brewed one a few months back and poured into the fermener then checked the gravity -- it was something outrageous like 1.110 or soemthing -- and I looked at it and said "man, need top off" I topped off until the OG was where it was supposed to be and remarkably, it was also at 5 gallons at that point.

My gravity readings seemed to make sense...

OG: 1.054 and FG was 1.015

For somthing to think about next time. When I plan on a secondery I make 5.5 gal so there is enough to fill up the carboy.

barrog said:
For somthing to think about next time. When I plan on a secondery I make 5.5 gal so there is enough to fill up the carboy.

Do you adjust your recipe to 5.5 gallons or do you just top off with more water? I'd think that would water down the final brew a little bit wouldn't it?

I brew 5.5 gal. No top off needed. So if I make a recipe from scratch that needs a secendary I aim for 5.5 gal. If I'm useing a premade recipe I'll scale it up. Hope that makes it clearer.

It does, thanks for input... Looks like my new batch is going to require a little more math :drunk:

Back