racked beer and worried about oxygen exposure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furstyjaymar13

Reaction score
ive racked my ipa to a secondary plastic bin so that i can dry hop, ive used plastic because thats all i have that i can use and i imagine that dry hopping for 10 days in it wont be enough to develop off flavours from plastic being permeable to oxygen, maybe im wrong though?
Also much more worrying is that the lid doesnt clamp down and seal tightly, essentially my beer is enclosed but not air tight, so is this likely to cause problems? I was thinking of weighing it down with several large books...

I would be more worried about the sanitation of the plastic bin. You don't need to transfer beer to a secondary to dry hop. I do it right in my primary, and only for about 3-5 days. After 7 days you can tend to get a little vegatative off flavor...

Gary

+1 on sanitation of the secondary, but I wouldn't worry about the permeability. Are you able to get some cling film or aluminum foil over the opening before weighing down the lid? That could be an option.

+1 on sanitation of the secondary, but I wouldn't worry about the permeability. Are you able to get some cling film or aluminum foil over the opening before weighing down the lid? That could be an option.

okay thanks for the replies. i've covered it in cling film to try and keep the air out as much as possible, hopefully it'll do the trick. the transfer and dry hop was done on tuesday, so i think i'll bottle it tomorrow, however i have read about the cooler it is the longer you can dry hop and i was thinking of cold crashing, hoping it would clear my beer a little better. if i do that, it would be tomorrow and then i'd bottle on tuesday, but im unsure whether it'd benefit from that. im brewing a light ipa.

Latest posts

Back