rack to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

smithw44

Reaction score
I have 5 gallons or wyeast sweet mead, a hc47 and a lavlin 1122 all started 10/23 i like sweeter cider so im curious they are still bubbling one every 2 approx minutes so slowed down a lot should i rerack them into secondary now theres still yeast suspended on walls of carboy or do i let them continue to ferment down till they stop then rerack? also i did a 5 gallon batch of cote de blanc and put in 2 1/2 pounds of rasberries in the secondary how long should i let them stay in secondary before kegging or bottling its been 2 weeks and rasberries are white . thanks for any help this is my second year brewing still learning a lot

LeBreton

Reaction score
Once every two min seems like a pretty slow ferment to me. I would think your ferment is nearly done and that you may have already passed your sweetness level. I typically rack to secondary before fermentation is completely done so the last bit of fermentation fills any head space with CO2 and limits oxygen contact with the product.

As for the second question. I've never racked onto whole fruit but from my understanding when the fruit is white the flavors have come out. Time to remove your cider so they don't pick up any off flavors from the seeds and skins. Bottle or put in another secondary to mature some more depending on your preference and taste.