Rack lager to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad2157

Reaction score
I brewed my first lager a week and a half ago. It has been in my "lager fridge" since at 50 degrees. I was planning to lager it for at least a month, if not a little longer. Should I rack this over to a secondary, and if so, at what point should I rack it over?

It is a honey brown lager.

I brewed my first lager a week and a half ago. It has been in my "lager fridge" since at 50 degrees. I was planning to lager it for at least a month, if not a little longer. Should I rack this over to a secondary, and if so, at what point should I rack it over?

It is a honey brown lager.

I usually rack a lager after the diacetyl rest. The diacetyl rest is done when the lager is 75% of the way to final gravity, about 1.022 or a bit less. You don't want to rack until after the diacetyl rest, if you're doing one.

Immediately after the diacetyl rest, the lager can be racked and then the lagering period begun. I like to lager at 34 degrees one week for each 8-10 points of OG. So, for a 1.060 lager, I'll rack for 6-8 weeks.

Back