R.I.P. HD-DVD, BluRay the High Def winner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitrouStang96

Reaction score
Not sure if you guys here have hashed this many times before, but the latest news makes the subject worthy of a farewell bid to HD-DVD.

Warner Brothers announced that they were going BluRay exclusively in the first week of January. Universal and Paramount were expected to follow suit immediately. Best Buy announced that it is recommending ONLY BluRay, but still stocks the HD-DVD equipment and discs. Netflix has now ditched HD-DVD entirely. Walmart is now exclusively BluRay.

As of Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008:
Toshiba told The Wall Street Journal this morning that it would cease production of its HD DVD players and recorders immediately and close out the business by the end of March.

I'm still a fan of future cable/satellite companies with multi-terabyte DVR's and on-demand high def content, though.

Don't forget that your toshiba player doesn't stop working now..... and all the titles out there are not going to vaporize. Get a netflix subscription and watch all the movies they have on HD-DVD. By the time you're done, the player will probably break.

Bobby_M said:
Don't forget that your toshiba player doesn't stop working now..... and all the titles out there are not going to vaporize. Get a netflix subscription and watch all the movies they have on HD-DVD. By the time you're done, the player will probably break.

Netflix announced last week that they were dropping HD-DVD. But I'm guessing lots of places are going to be selling HD-DVDs pretty cheap real soon. I don't want to put too much money into a dead format, but if I can pick up some good movies in HD for under $10, I'll do it.

I think Netflix is just going to stop aquiring new ones. I doubt that they'd completely flush the library they already have. Then again, they probably have to burn new ones for every 10th rental and I don't know if they'd continue that.

Bobby_M said:
I think Netflix is just going to stop aquiring new ones. I doubt that they'd completely flush the library they already have. Then again, they probably have to burn new ones for every 10th rental and I don't know if they'd continue that.

Why wouldn't they get rid of all of the HD movies? It is dead technology now. They will purge those DVDs faster than you can say Blu-ray.

While only a portion of Netflix subscribers have elected to receive high- def DVDs, a majority of those subscribers have chosen Blu-ray over HD DVD. As part of the transition to Blu-ray, the company said it will acquire no new HD DVDs but that its current HD DVD inventory would continue to rent until the discs' natural life cycle takes them out of circulation in the coming months.

Right. It doesn't seem like a decent option even when Walmart decides to blow out the HD-A3s for $49.

Probably, but I'm not sure how much of it is actually Microsoft's - they're Toshiba HD-DVD drives.

Brewpastor said:
So does this mean they are really not going to bring back Betamax? I had so hoped I had invested in the right technology!

Damn! beat me to the comment! Of course I have been lamenting the fact that my DVD collection is obsolete, and I have only been putting it together for what, 7 years? At least VHS lasted longer than that...

Actually, HD players that upres standard DVDs make them look pretty darn nice, so don't throw out your DVDs just yet :)

Back