Quickly cooling wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geodave

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm sure my first thread is going to be a repeat of something well known, but as I'm just getting started I thought I'd ask:

Cooling the brewpot after the boil, I've tried dunking the thing in a sink full of water and ice but in my small apartment it takes a while; immersion chillers look great but I was thinking, why not just take a narrow sort of plastic container, a juice bottle or something, and freeze water in it? Then sanitize it for a moment and use it to dunk directly into the wort and stir?

Is this a stupid plan and I should just get an immersion chiller, or could it cool the wort even faster?

Thanks, and I love this site,
--Dave

Fantastic. I'll sink em in Sani-Clean for a few minutes and then use them to whirlpool. Thanks!

You're also best off freezing a few of them so you can trade them out as they melt (sanitize before using).

Also, most 2-liter bottles have a black plastic part on the bottom that detaches easily. Take it off, and there's less nooks and crannies for nasties to hide in.

I would still sit the pot in a sink of ice while you do the ice bottle trick. You can't cool too fast!

Is there another thread discussing different wort chilling options? I'm still taking forever to get the last 10 degrees when using my immersion chiller on a full boil. Summer is coming and my tap water is going to be even warmer making for a less effective chiller.

Is there another thread discussing different wort chilling options? I'm still taking forever to get the last 10 degrees when using my immersion chiller on a full boil. Summer is coming and my tap water is going to be even warmer making for a less effective chiller.

You can use a prechiller - copper coils in a bucket of ice water - let the tap water run through the prechiller before going to the I.C. There's lots of threads on wort chilling - check out the DIY section. Here's one recent thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cf-chiller-vs-ic-chiller-107806/

You can use a prechiller - copper coils in a bucket of ice water - let the tap water run through the prechiller before going to the I.C.

A submersible pump is probably cheaper than another copper coil, then just pump icewater through the IC (fill a cooler with ice + water, put pump in, pump water through IC and back into the opposite end of the cooler).

using an ic with a bucket of ice water is the best and easiest way to cool your wort. i use mine and have the hot out going into the other sink and i use a prechiller. for the cost of copper right now it is allot more cost effective. also a good flow control. too fast and you dont pull enough heat. to slow and you dont pull enough heat.

If your sink has an overflow drain, i would leave the water running on low while cooling the pot. I can usually cool my pot down to about 110F in about 20 mins, then add pre-chilled water to the wort and I hit about 65F.

I have eight bottles from bottled water. I removed the labels and all traces of adhesive. A couple days before brew day I fill the bottles with Star San, put them in a sanitized gallon zip lock, seal it and freeze. I leave some head space so they're not as likely to spew their contents that way. But in case they do spew a little they're filled with sanitizer.

I think using the smaller bottles increases the surface area to chill the wort faster. I put the boil pot in an ice bath with three bags of ice as well. It chills pretty fast this way.

One day I'll have a real chiller!!

Back